Fire hd roon remote

Can someone confirm the latest 11th gen. fire hd 10 tablet by amazon is good to go as a remote? Also is the roon app available on amazon? Finally for using just as a remote is there any advantage of the 64gb model vs 32gb model?

Thanks MK.

1 Like

I have a Fire HD 10 Plus (11th Generation) tablet and it works great as a Roon remote. It also works as a Roon endpoint, in other words one can play music from Roon on the Fire HD tablet. Plus the screen on the Fire HD 10 is really nice.

There is a Roon Remote app available in the Amazon App Store as well in the Google Play store.

No advantage to getting a 64GB model instead of the 32GB model.

I also have a Fire HD 10 (9th Generation), which also works great as Roon remote.

If you decide to get the Fire HD 10 tablet, please PM me since there are several settings in Roon (on the Fire HD 10) one needs adjust to get the best experience.

One advantage of the Fire HD 10 Plus is that one can get the wireless charging stand and use the Fire HD 10 Plus as a “Now Playing” display as well as a Roon remote. Of course one can do the same thing with the regular Fire HD 10 and simple tablet stand.

3 Likes

It’s a bit dated, but mostly still accurate.

No need for this APK business since there is a Roon Remote right there in the Amazon App Store.

1 Like

Many thanks. Will get back to you for those settings if i get one hopefully soon.

Good to know! Thanks.

@musickid There is one small issue with the Fire HD tablets and the Roon Remote app that you should be aware of - when Roon releases an update, as they have been doing with some regularity these days, it can take about two weeks for the updated Roon Remote app to appear in the Amazon App Store. Of course the Roon Remote app still works perfectly with the previous version on the Fire HD but just in case the slight lag might bother you, you should be aware.

Here’s something on the positive side: the Fire HD 8 also works perfectly, as in exactly the same as the Fire HD 10, with the Roon Remote app. Yes I also have a Fire HD 8 Plus, which I use as a Roon Remote.

The Apple fan boys will tell us how great the various iPad tablets are when used as a Roon Remote and that is definitely true. However the Fire HD tablets work just as well as the iPads (again I have both and I have done direct comparisons) and cost a lot less. Use the money you save to buy something nice.

2 Likes

And this lag of update in store is the one area where side loading the new Roon apk can be of benefit if the wait concerns anyone.

Or one can side load the Google Play Store apk and then install the Roon Remote from the Google Play Store, which doesn’t have quite as long an update lag as the Amazon App Store version. Just remember that if you installed the Roon Remote from the Amazon App Store then that is where you get all future updates and the same applies if you installed the Roon Remote app from the Google Play store. You shouldn’t mix the two versions.

I usually just download the new APK from the Roon downloads page – it’s the only page in the Silk browser on that device :slight_smile: .

1 Like

“What is the Best Tablet for Use with Roon”
In case anyone was searching for Fire HD info., or inexpensive Roon remotes, I thought linking the two threads may be as helpful to others, as it was to me. And bring both them more up to date as far as the 2023 13th Gen. Fire HD10 is concerned.

While the 13th. Gen Fire HD 10 may not be the “best” tablet (as the other thread requested) for use with Roon. However it certainly is one the most cost effective ones – especially during Amazon’s frequent device sales; which I just took advantage of during their Spring '24 sale!

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, in this Community, where the iPad Pro reigns supreme, our embrace of the lowly Fire HD tablet is way outside the mainstream. Now if we could only convince the Community that using the Fire HD tablet for a Roon remote improves the sound quality, there might be some takers*.

• Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, that sentence is meant to be a joke since everyone knows that the iPad Pro is the bestest Roon remote EVER!! :rofl: :+1:
2 Likes

If I wanted a tablet for needs other than simply a Roon remote, the iPad or an Android tablet would probably be my druthers. There’s a 60/40 chance that I would choose the later; because after initially joining the Apple iPhone brigade, I switched to Android. There, the reasons really are subjectively personal ones.

Both systems will get you to where you want to be. One may do it more elegantly vs an innate control and the other allows for experimentation with an allowance for screwing-up, or not doing what was expected.

The Fire tablets can’t really compete, nor should they for their significantly lower cost.

But for Roon, the Fire (2023/Gen.13) HD10 is perfect for me and my need of an auxiliary Roon remote. I can leave the Fire in another room when I’m controlling a MRM (Multi-Room-Music) Roon>Amazon Echo speaker system. Otherwise & additionally, for MRM and in my 2-channel audio room, I use a Windoz laptop &/or a Galaxy S22 Ultra phone (as remotes).

I have several Fire HD tablets, including the latest Fire HD 11. I also have a fairly recent model iPad Air. The Fire HD 11 works great as a Roon remote and for streaming video, whether from Netflix, Prime, ESPN, etc., and, at least to my eyes, the screen/picture on the HD 11 is brighter, clearer and sharper than on the iPad Air. And the Fire HD tablets have expandable memory via a microSD card. However I do agree that for most other things the iPads are the superior tablets.

2 Likes

I bought 3 fire hd 10’s for 39.99/ea. (refurbished, 9th gen.) a month ago and they are now placed around the house strategically. Perfect as ROON remotes.

3 Likes

I also have a few of the fire hd 10’s. Bedroom, Conservatory, living room, They do not get a lot of use, but serve a purpose. However, the one in the kitchen gets used a lot by my wife. She loves Roon for her playlists, and spends hours in there, with the volume turned up. I would say 99% used for Roon, 1% used as a clock/timer. :smile:
I embedded the charging dock into the wall, so it’s permanently fully charged.

4 Likes

Have considered getting a Bluetooth speaker for use with this tablet? A Bluetooth speaker, even an inexpensive one, would provide much better sound than the Fire HD tablet. There are many Bluetooth speakers available for well under $50, several of them with pretty decent sound quality. Just a friendly suggestion. :smile:

1 Like

@Jazzfan_NJ :slightly_smiling_face:The tablet is only used as the controller. It controls via Wi-Fi a pair of Sonos play ones, paired as stereo. More than adequate for our kitchen :+1:
You can see one on the shelf in the background.
Not one of the tablets is ever used to directly output music, that would be horrendous :grin:

1 Like

Smart, very smart. You are way ahead of me. :+1:

The one big plus with the Fire HD 8 Plus is that it supports wireless charging. I love being able to just pick it up and not worry about having to plug it in.

1 Like