What is the best tablet for use with Roon?

During Amazon’s Spring, I just purchased the new 2023 (lucky 13th. Gen. :wink:) Fire HD10. With on-screen ads, they begin at $94.99. Newest Fire HD10

After looking at a side-by-side speed comparison of the HD10 with the Apple iPad, they were quite close and while the display may not be quite as good as the standard iPad’s, it is quite comparable to my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone.

For me and essentially my single Roon use of the Fire, that’s more than sufficient as an ancillary remote to leave in another room “Use Roon to stream music to Amazon Echo speaker”, when I’m not using my laptop or my phone as remotes.

At <$100.00 what a great Roon remote! The Fire HD8 was on sale yesterday for around $75. But the HD8 is longer advertised as such. So, the Spring 2024 HD10 discount may be expiring soon!

Also a positive, I was able to download and install the: Newest Fire Toolbox Windows 10/11 App.

Among other things, the the XDA Forum’s “Fire Toolbox”, allowed me to download Apps from Google’s Playstore, instead of just from Amazon’s store.

It should be noted the “Fire Toolbox” doesn’t root the device or negatively effect its warranty.
A further note, while the “Fire Toolbox” download presently works for my device, it may stop doing so, when Amazon kicks-off a newer build and its firmware and “Toolbox” App maybe out-of-sync. At any rate, it was a fun process.

To address the screen lock timing out, I’m unsure about former HD10’s, but actually, my new 2023 Fire HD 10 can be locked open (kept from sleeping):

• Go to the SETTINGS area.

• Click on DEVICE OPTIONS.

• Triple-tap the SERIAL NUMBER option, towards the bottom of the screen. Keep tapping!

• The DEVELOPER OPTIONS will now be accessible.

• Find the option labeled STAY AWAKE. Click on it to ENABLE.

Lastly, in a previous thread “Fire hd roon remote” the following comments were made:

I found @Jazzfan_NJ’s comments informative, because I downloaded the Roon remote from the Google store. If my access to the Playstore is cutoff via the “Fire ToolBox” App because Amazon updates and its don’t correlate, I may have to uninstall the Google App and just downloaded from the Amazon store. But I now know NOT to have both Roon apps installed simultaneously, or as a work-around, perhaps finagle accessing Google’s Playstore through other means.

Although the Fire HD 10 is constrained by Amazon’s eco-system & App store, for the price, it’s unbeatable as a Roon remote!! Hopefully, with Roon updates and Amazon updates, that doesn’t change or isn’t delayed. But based on posted previous history, I don’t consider that to be a problem!

Lastly, a question in another thread asked about the 32GB vs 64GB versions of the HD10. The HD10 has a micro-SD card slot with up to 1TB capability. Thus, paying extra to double the internal memory, would seem to be contraindicated…

2 Likes