What is the best tablet for use with Roon?

We don’t have one of these in-house. Judging from the specs, I don’t see any reason why it would fail to run Roon, but I would expect performance to be only slightly better than on the 2018 model.

Listen, there is no best Tablet for running Roon. Just use what you’re comfortable using. I use Android because I’m comfortable using it. Not because it’s any better then Apple! Don’t listen to all the Apple people saying it’s better then Android. If you want to go with Android, go with Android. If it’s Apple you use on a daily basis then use Apple! Just my Opinion!

1 Like

That may or may not be true. It would depend on the functionality of the Roon IOS and Android apps.

Functionality is the same. (Except for portrait mode on one Apple tablet.)

Which is why I would purchase an iPad Pro 12.9 inch if I was in the market for a new tablet. I would like the versatility of Roon portrait and landscape. As it is, my iPad Mini 4 works well, but I usually use a Dell XPS 15 with Roon. I used to be an Android person, but switched to IOS and prefer IOS ever since.

Well normaly i use a normal ipad 2019 edition, which works really fine (only downside is the horizontal scrolling through albums).

And when my children have it for there gaming or school needs (:wink:) i use my Galaxy S10+ android phone and that works fine as a remote, the only really annoying thing about the android roon app is, that there is no " top tracks" area visible on tidal artist pages (On the ipados roon app i can see them offcoarse).

Would be really awesome to see that comming to the android app.
For this reason i would prefer a ios device (although its an easy fix on the android app i think).

So, the functionality is not the same for IOS vs Android. I thought that was probably the case.

The phone app is different from the tablet app. The tablet app is exactly like the desktop app. Both are the same download, but when run on a phone functions are limited v. running the same app on a tablet.

My iPad mini battery died I bought an iPad Pro 12,9 to replace it

Apart from cost a no brainer

The experience is simply WOW in comparison

1 Like

@Mike_O_Neill but wow the cost… I had the original super size one and it was just too big and with the keyboard it was way heavier than the MacBook pro I was using at the time.

Swapped it out for a 11" pro and I much prefer the size but occasionally wish for the larger screen size. Can’t wait for foldable tablets in a few year’s time.

I do really like Roon on a large iPad though. Almost as good as pc but with a touch screen access.

Mike

Is it a speed or a size difference? I’ve been weighing my options for when I grab a Mac mini to use as my core, but a full size iPad (I’m looking at a 5th gen iPad mini) just seems like a big investment for a remote and nothing else.

It’s both , the 2020 iPad Pro is very quick , my mini is 6 years old so no real comparison on speed. I guess Apple are aiming at the laptop replacement

I used a 6 in Samsung A1 as well , bit sluggish, that was scotched by the Open GL3 retirement , I also used a Sony 13 in Windows tablet which was comparable

The visuals really make a difference, you simply get more on a screen good for album browsing etc

It’s definitely a sit in the chair device it is quite big , comparable with a laptop

The cost is an issue obviously, I decided it wouldn’t leave the house, too big, so I got the 128, WiFi only version the 3g version is quite a bit more expensive, around 15% extra .

It was my 70th birthday present that made negotiating easier !

1 Like

Ditto on the gift idea. I had to negotiate the combination of Christmas and my Birthday in January to get an Ipad Pro 12.9 last year for Christmas. Keep mine stand mounted next to the entertainment center, dedicated for remote use. Use an adapter for Ethernet unless I want to move the stand next to my recliner or to the kitchen zone.

2 Likes

Hi Ronald. I’m looking at replacing my aging Samsung Galaxy Tab S. This thread is pretty old especially from a technology standpoint, but would rather piggyback off this than start a new possibly redundant thread with this exact question. What did you go with and are you happy with it? I’m looking for an android based tablet that will live in my media room and just act as a Roon remote (speedy and the graphics/text are pleasing to the eyes). Curious what Roon users are using as their non-iPad remote nowadays.

I am not an Apple Fan, so I went with a new Samsung Android. I don’t use it as my primary Roon controller - that I do on my desktop. However, my Roon usage has shrunk. I’ve been having a lot of issues with Roon cataloging my files. See this thread, for example.

1 Like

Sorry you’re having trouble with Roon. I hope you’re able to use it without the performance issues you’re experiencing.

What model tablet did you go with? I’m curious if I can go with the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 8.7" 32GB, or if I need to spring for something with more horsepower to get speedy browsing of my music collection. I have a few laptops that work well minus the ongoing .NET issue in Windows that causes the remote to hang/crash intermittently, but would rather go with android as my Samsung phone works great as a remote.

Galaxy Tab A8. Bought at Costco. But I cannot tell you how good it will perform on the “new Roon.” I’ve been unable to use Roon much since March! Very sluggish.

I’m a big fan of the Amazon Fire Tablets. Relatively inexpensive and Roon Remote works great on all of them.

4 Likes

I bought a fire HD10 for $99 and cant image a better remote for $100. The room experience is like using my laptop. It doesn’t seem to missing any functionality. The fact you have to manually wake up the screen is about the worst aspect of using it. Other than that’s is flawless in portrait or landscape mode.

That complaint is largely resolved by using a case with auto mag unlock.Then when you open the case it wakes up the green. Thanks to all for the recommendation.

Sean

1 Like

During Amazon’s Spring, I just purchased the new 2023 (lucky 13th. Gen. :wink:) Fire HD10. With on-screen ads, they begin at $94.99. Newest Fire HD10

After looking at a side-by-side speed comparison of the HD10 with the Apple iPad, they were quite close and while the display may not be quite as good as the standard iPad’s, it is quite comparable to my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone.

For me and essentially my single Roon use of the Fire, that’s more than sufficient as an ancillary remote to leave in another room “Use Roon to stream music to Amazon Echo speaker”, when I’m not using my laptop or my phone as remotes.

At <$100.00 what a great Roon remote! The Fire HD8 was on sale yesterday for around $75. But the HD8 is longer advertised as such. So, the Spring 2024 HD10 discount may be expiring soon!

Also a positive, I was able to download and install the: Newest Fire Toolbox Windows 10/11 App.

Among other things, the the XDA Forum’s “Fire Toolbox”, allowed me to download Apps from Google’s Playstore, instead of just from Amazon’s store.

It should be noted the “Fire Toolbox” doesn’t root the device or negatively effect its warranty.
A further note, while the “Fire Toolbox” download presently works for my device, it may stop doing so, when Amazon kicks-off a newer build and its firmware and “Toolbox” App maybe out-of-sync. At any rate, it was a fun process.

To address the screen lock timing out, I’m unsure about former HD10’s, but actually, my new 2023 Fire HD 10 can be locked open (kept from sleeping):

• Go to the SETTINGS area.

• Click on DEVICE OPTIONS.

• Triple-tap the SERIAL NUMBER option, towards the bottom of the screen. Keep tapping!

• The DEVELOPER OPTIONS will now be accessible.

• Find the option labeled STAY AWAKE. Click on it to ENABLE.

Lastly, in a previous thread “Fire hd roon remote” the following comments were made:

I found @Jazzfan_NJ’s comments informative, because I downloaded the Roon remote from the Google store. If my access to the Playstore is cutoff via the “Fire ToolBox” App because Amazon updates and its don’t correlate, I may have to uninstall the Google App and just downloaded from the Amazon store. But I now know NOT to have both Roon apps installed simultaneously, or as a work-around, perhaps finagle accessing Google’s Playstore through other means.

Although the Fire HD 10 is constrained by Amazon’s eco-system & App store, for the price, it’s unbeatable as a Roon remote!! Hopefully, with Roon updates and Amazon updates, that doesn’t change or isn’t delayed. But based on posted previous history, I don’t consider that to be a problem!

Lastly, a question in another thread asked about the 32GB vs 64GB versions of the HD10. The HD10 has a micro-SD card slot with up to 1TB capability. Thus, paying extra to double the internal memory, would seem to be contraindicated…

2 Likes