First concert you ever went to?

Rush, Radio City Music Hall 1983.

Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo habitual tour supported by Primusā€¦

Needless to say this proved to be highly formative

Downside was tinnitus for about a week and probably permanently damaged hearingā€¦

2 Likes

Camel, Ipswich Gaumont (UK) about 1979. Followed by Nine Below Zero at Essex University a week later. Couldnā€™t be more different, but hushed hall or sweaty basement, i was hooked

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers because they were the first act at the Pinkpop festival in 1977. I had a fantastic day. Manfred Mannā€™s Earth Band, Golden Earring, with Ecco Gelling, Nils Lofgren, including his salto, and The Kinks were great.

What impressed me most that day was the sheer size of the crowd. I had never seen 60.000 people together before.

1 Like

That was 1990 right? I was working in a record store (yes vinyl!) on campus when that album was released. I remember blasting that album all day. Yes, it was loud!

Yeah buddy 1990 sounds about right! Bought the album from the merch stall at the gig though not the tour t-shirt sadly.

Newcastle Metro (long since gone).

What a gig it was utter mayhem! There was such a buzz about them at that time.

Alice Cooper, Lace and Whiskey, 1978.

Looking back at some old ticket stubs it looks like 1980 was a good year with shows by Van Halen, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Scorpions, and the Police with XTC supporting. Wish I had saved all my tix over the years.

2 Likes

I saw Alice serveral times, but the highlight was when I got to go backstage on the Constricor Tour and meet him.

2 Likes

Wow, what a great memory to have, wish i had such an opportunity. His earlier stuff has held up remarkably well in my opinion and it is a reminder to how much guitar talent he had around him, That was my only occasion to see Alice and he had both Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner out with him at that time, but to see him with Buxton would have been amazing. I still thank my dear old Mum for letting me go to see Alice when I was 12, great first concert experience.

I really like the chords in ā€œYou and Meā€; lovely harmonic structure.

I always thought Lace and Whiskey was a very under appreciated Alice Album.

My first concert was T. Rex at the Odeon Birmingham on 16th December 1970. Many more concerts followed mainly at the Town Hall in Birmingham. I remember at that time that tickets to concert tours by top name bands cost just 50p, whereas an album would cost 2.00 GBP. The tours were put on to promote album sales, so what a bargain time to see live music at venues where you were pretty close to the action on stage, unlike the modern age arena tours.

1 Like

Not been to Birmingham Town Hall whatā€™s it like? as I go there on Tuesday to see London Grammar.

London Grammar!? One of my favorite bands!! Listening to this now:

Bath & West Blues Festival 1970:-
Donovan, Fairport Convention, Steppenwolf, Pink Floyd, Canned Heat, Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds,ā€¦

There were others I just canā€™t remember them at the moment, the lineup of so many famous names (in a U.K. venue) has never been bettered, Iā€™ll regret saying that :thinking:

I always liked it very much. It is just the right size of concert venue for my taste. Recently they refurbished the place. The galleries (upper gallery and lower gallery) are now a single tier circle I believe. My favourite position was front centre lower gallery, but anywhere in the galleries was great. I have not been to a concert there for many a year, my recent concerts have been at the Symphony Hall. I hope you enjoy your concert.

Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead, Oā€™keefe Centre, Toronto, August 1967. It was groovy, man! Just far out!

3 Likes

Peter Gabriel first tour in 1977 :

1 Like

Grateful Dead Live at Dillon Stadium on 1974-07-31