First concert you ever went to?

Grateful Dead, 12/26/1969, SMU McFarlin Auditorium, Dallas, Texas

I went to one day–should have gone to more of the Texas International Rock Festival which was 2 weeks after Woodstock in a field near Dallas. Quit overwhelming for me at 20. Great music. Chaotic and FUN.
Line up on the Saturday I went.Saturday, August 30 1969
Canned Heat
Chicago Transit Authority
James Cotton Blues Band
Janis Joplin
B.B. King
Herbie Mann
Rotary Connection
Sam & Dave

2 Likes

Cool! If you haven’t seen these sites, you’ll enjoy:
http://www.cityoflewisville.com/about-us/our-history/timeline/1969-texas-international-pop-festival

Anyone going to see Lake Street Dive at the BUT (Bellyup Tavern) on the 19th?

http://bellyup.com/lake-street-dive

Pink Floyd, January 1977, Westfalenhalle Dortmund, Germany.
In The Flesh Tour / Animals
Had to sneak in because I was under age for this event… :wink:

Cheers
Andreas

1 Like

@tboooe - They are definitely on my list of acts to catch live. They played a small venue within walking distance of my house a couple of years ago, but it was the same evening as my oldest daughter’s high school graduation. I think I would have been in some trouble for that. Besides, my wife and the rest of the family would really enjoy the show as well! I just checked their website, no shows near me on the schedule right now. Have a great time if you’re going, cheers!

Yes I am going! I am really looking forward to it. I hear they are a great live band. And the BUT is a really great venue. Super small so you are close to the stage no matter where you are in the audience.

1 Like

I think it was Fish at Rock City in Nottingham, England. 1989/90.

2 Likes

Did you mean Phish?

No! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_(singer)

1 Like

The great original lead singer of Marillion. Their albums with him were fantastic, yes, even Clutching at Straws. Hmm, might do a Marillion night…(off to queue up Script for a Jester’s Tear)

1 Like

@joel @Rugby
Which neatly leads back to my first concert experience !
I seem to remember a lot of spider’s webs all over the stage…and of course Jester’s costumes…

1 Like

Michael Jackson, HIStory Tour
June 15th, 1997 in Gelsenkirchen, Germany

Thanks Garym

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Southern Accents Tour - June 28, 1985
Omaha Civic Auditorium - Omaha NE

3 Likes

SĂŁo Paulo, Brasil 1996.

over 50.000 people at Pacaembu Stadium, great day to remember.

2 Likes

Hardly a concert, more of a gig some 52 years ago I think. I was 17 and saw Sonny Boy Williamson with the Yardbirds at Farnborough Town Hall.

My abiding memory of the event apart from the amazing never heard live before music, was this.

I arrived early and parked my two wheels and hung around outside the Post Office waiting for a friend.
A bus from Aldershot pulled up and this guy stepped off. He was elegantly wearing a quartered deep purple and olive green mohair suit, SBW himself, he even said hello. We walked across to the Town Hall but I was lost for words.

How times have changed.

6 Likes

Blue Oyster Cult, Madison Square Garden, NYC around 1976, all I remember was the laser show.

1 Like

They had an excellent laser show with Eric Bloom shooting the laser out of his hand.

Elton John,Madison Square Garden. Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd. tour.

He played for 4 hours.

1 Like