First time setup - how to back up Roon Nucleus Library to NAS share?

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus+ has an internal drive with all of my music files
My laptop runs Win11, but I only use it to move files around on my home network.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Arris Gateway/Modem (bridge mode)
Netgear Orbi Wireless Router
Synology NAS

Connected Audio Devices

Connected audio devices not relevant to my issue.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I would like to set up my Roon Nucleus+ core to back up the library periodically to a NAS share.

On the Roon backup page, I click “add network share.”
For the network share location, I’ve tried multiple approaches:
\\(my NAS name)\(my share name)
\\(my ip address)\(my share name)
smb://(my NAS name)/(my share name)
smb://(my ip address)/(my share name)

I have completed user name / password / workgroup fields with my NAS login info.

When I click “add,” I get an error message: “Could not connect to share: unauthorized.”

I’ve searched through this community support page, but I can’t seem to find a solution for this. Apologies if this is a duplicate request.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this thread but it might be worth checking out…

Be aware that the back-up function in Roon only does a back-up of the database (i.e. library’s metadata, edits you’ve made, play history, Roon playlists, favorites, settings). NOT your music files.

See this KB for more info:

Thanks, bear. Yes, I’m aware that the Roon back-up function only pulls the database. That’s exactly what I’d like to do but am having difficulty with the proper settings to back up to my NAS.

Does anything in my original post look “off” in terms of how I should be trying to set it up?

Have you enabled smb1 on your windows 11 machine? Microsoft turn it off by default and it causes endless problems (as that disables netbios) setting up network shares?

I haven’t done anything in Windows to enable or disable SMB. That said, I have had no issues accessing the data files on my NAS from my laptop. I can copy files between NAS / laptop / room nucleus internal storage through File Explorer without issue.

“Normal” access to the NAS via explorer functionality wouldn’t be a problem with smb1 disabled but it would affect setting up network shares. For the sake of five minutes it’s worth trying if only to eliminate a potential cause (& it’s quick to reverse).

One caveat with what I am about to tell you is that I do not have a synology, I use TrueNAS, so YMMV and all that. I have help family and friends with theirs and I slept at a Holiday INN express last night :yum: .

SMB1 does need to be turned on as @PixelPopper says. Windows 11 either comes with it disabled or not even installed. MS has an unsupported package to re-install it if needed.
Look in “programs and features” in win11 and see what you see.

Edit: This part is meant for the synology: One suggestion I would make is that I would not use your main admin user/password for access to the directory. I would, if possible, create a new user/password and give it specific access to the directory. This was the most reliable way for me to get consistent connection to my NAS.
Also, make sure SMB1 is enabled and the permissions are set correctly. You “might” be able to get the guest access to work but I would go for the more secure password protected access.

@PixelPopper and @bearFNF Thank you both for the suggestion and explanations. I just double-checked, and the SMB 1.0/CIFS box was indeed already checked.

I trust you had a restful sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night. Did any other insights come to you in a dream? :rofl:

I don’t suppose anyone else has any suggestions? I’m stuck.

Trust no-one, especially microsoft updates (windows SMB1 is usually disabled by default so unless you previously changed it I would do the following).

Disable SMB1, reboot, re-enable SMB1, reboot again and then try to set up your share.

It may not make any difference but at least you will be certain of the parameter status.

Also, @support have you missed this thread?

Sorry, but isn’t the issue here that @RICK_JOHNSON is unable to set up the network connection from the Nucleus to his Synology NAS? Windows 11 doesn’t enter into this scenario.

@RICK_JOHNSON - could you post a screenshot of an example of Roon’s Add network share screen showing what you have entered into the fields and the error message?

The error message: “Could not connect to share: unauthorized.” seems to indicate that you have the correct network address to access the NAS, but for some reason the Synology is refusing the connection…

2 Likes

@Geoff_Coupe err, that is a good point. I was not clear on my suggestion for using a specific log-in and checking permissions. I meant that part for on the NAS. I have edited that part of my post.

@RICK_JOHNSON Have you check in the synology DSM to make sure that SMB services are enabled and that SMB1 is set as the minimum. How this is done is dependent on the version of DSM you are using. I would look for instruction from Synology for your version.

The other suggestion I made about not using the admin username and password (create a specific login for this) and checking he permissions to the directory (on the synology) still stand.

Fair point, re-read and yes the Win11 laptop is irrelevant, however the smb1 still might be an issue on the Synology NAS ….further reading…

Geoff, this thread might get better responses in the Nucleus category?

It’s OK where it is I think; Support see both categories and this is about a Roon network connection to a Synology NAS - I doubt that it’s specific to a Nucleus…

@Geoff_Coupe I’m hesitant to post a screenshot that includes my NAS username, so I’ll just outline the fields and error message here.

Network share location: smb://10.0.0.100/[my share name]
Username: [My NAS username]
Password: [My NAS password]
Workgroup: [My workgroup name]

Click “add network share”

Error message: Could not connect to share: unauthorized

Also note that I have tried \NAS[My share name] and have the same result.

@PixelPopper I checked the synology DSM and confirmed that SMB services are enabled. I also reviewed the synology kb you referenced and things appear to be in order. To clarify your other point, you’re suggesting that I create a separate username and password on the synology NAS just for the Roon to access? I’m not sure why that would be any different than using my admin info, but I can certainly give it a shot.

Not me, I didn’t suggest that…

I assume that you are not using a username on your NAS that is of the form used by a Microsoft Account - that is a username that has the format of an email address, e.g. me@outlook.com? Because if you are, that will not work.

Sorry @PixelPopper. That was bearFNF that made that suggestion. @bearFNF, if you’re suggesting I create a separate user for the NAS, I can do that. I’m not sure why that would work any differently, but it’s worth a shot.

Correct, I’m not using a e-mail address format for NAS access. Straight username and password.