Focus: AND, OR, XOR etc. (Boolean Search)

This has been discussed before, but I can’t seem to find out what the status is. What I do know is that in earlier version of Roon, when I focused on two things, the logic was “OR”, i.e. for example, show me all albums featuring either Paul McCartney or Stevie Wonder. This would give you a lot of Beatles records, McCartney solo work, and Wonder’s. Then at some point, they changed the logic to AND. This meant that if you focused on McCartney and Stevie Wonder, your only result was “Ebony and Ivory”, as this is the only record (at least that I am aware of) the two did together. Now, however, it seems that they changed it back again to OR. Is this correct or what am I missing?

The only thing you can do now, apparently, is “negate” a given focus. So you could say something rather complex like “Show me all albums that feature Paul McCartney except those that also feature Stevie Wonder”. This might be what you want, depending on how much you love “Ebony and Ivory”, but to me, the fact that you can do THAT, but not the opposite, seems ridiculous.

Quite obviously, you might find yourselves in situations for both options, AND and OR. Sometimes you want the former, sometimes the latter. In my case, I would very much like to be able to focus on one tag AND a second tag, so I would like to see only those albums that have two specific tags (not one OR the other). Right now, OR seems to be the default and I do not see how I can change it.

So, can anyone tell me:

• whether I can change the default from OR to AND
  • whether I can change from OR to AND in a given search (like a normal person)
  • if not, whether we can expect this feature to be implemented anytime soon for those of us who care more about those things than fine-tuning EQs while on-the-go.
1 Like

Use the little symbol (where available) besides the category titles to change the logic (for the category).

grafik

2 Likes

Doesn’t work with custom Roon Tags…

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks — the match all / match any toggle would be ideal, but it’s not there for my own tags, correct? Any idea why that would be the case? And do I remember correctly that they changed the default from OR to AND and back to OR?

1 Like

It’s not as far as I can tell, and yes IIRC the defaults were changed. I would love full boolean options so much but we can only pray :slight_smile:

2 Likes