Focus: Storage Location + Genre not possible with streaming services?

Ahh this is also interesting as I changed my Qobuz email address as well which effects Qobuz login.

IMG_1161

But I tried having only Tidal and I didn’t see Genres there until enabling Roon Genres.

I think I can (mostly) relax now.
Thanks for all the speedy help.
But I’m not going to mark this as Solved as I’d appreciate some feedback from Roon as to what might be happening here.
I’d much prefer to use only metadata tag Genres.

2 Likes

Are all your remotes and the core up to date? Someone else was missing genres in Qobuz New Releases because they weren’t.

The latest release had the genre translation updates, so everything needs to be on the latest

2 Likes

Aye! Another variable.
But I’m on 1259 which I believe is the latest?

Yes that’s fine as long as it’s the case on all devices. Don’t forget App Store updates

1 Like

The most glaring variable here is:
I changed my Network setup and this seems to have started immediately afterwards.
I was getting dropouts using Qobuz hires with my Hugo2/2Go.
I’m now on a Canadian account (red flag? I know there are currently issues) but previously used a UK account without issue.
So as an experiment I set up a Range Extender and gave it unique SSIDs.
My 2Go and KEF wireless are now on this network and no more dropouts…yet
These devices needed to be Enabled again in Roon (as expected)
But I’m not seeing different subnets (I don’t know a lot about networking)

Edit - But the issue persisted when I temporarily unplugged the extender.

When I signed up for Qobuz a few years ago, I noticed there was no genre information shown unless I had Roon set to display Roon genres. It has always been this way as far as I know.

Are you positive you’ve never had Roon set to display Roon Genres before?

You can see my posts about this here (post 26 - 29)

2 Likes

I appreciate that info.
I’m not actually positive about genres as I changed so many things in the last 48 hours and my previous Qobuz sub expired a few months ago.
But I now suspect what you say is correct and I’m just out of my mind here.

2 Likes

I added a link to my post where I asked about this issue.

1 Like

Been there, done that! :laughing:

2 Likes

Seems this was the issue and I was just mistaken.
Many thanks.

Now if I can just figure out how to get Roon Radio, Shuffle and Focus to not, for example, blast me with Hardcore Techno when I’m listening to Ambient I’ll be good.
Roon considers both of these as Electronic, which isn’t wrong, but they’re completely different vibes.

My Ambient albums are metadata tagged as only that. But using Roon genres adds the Electronic genre so Radio gets….interesting.
It works the other way too: Some not so Ambient albums have the Ambient tag in Roon so they show up in my Ambient focus.

Any ideas how to get around this.
I already set Ambient to a top level genre.
If I anti-Focus Electronic and an album has Ambient and Electronic genres it vanishes from
Ambient focus.

This applies to all genres really: If I’m listening to Death Metal I’ll soon get…. I dunno…. The Osmonds because they’re both Pop/Rock to Roon

1 Like

Playing by Genre in Roon has always been “lacking”, IMO. Part of the problem is Roon being “album” centric. Frankly, overall I find playing by genre in Roon pretty useless.

There’s been a long outstanding feature request to allow track level genre playback, but no dice. At this point I don’t think it’ll ever happen. Roon does offer the ability to add tags to your track files (ROONTRACKTAG), but this solution is cumbersome to implement and has some issues with some tag names. Also, this only works with local files, not content from Tidal or Qobuz.

2 Likes

I was thinking the you got to select +electronic +Ambient -house -techno -club/dance and so on… but you got to do it only once and save a bookmark

Glad it worked out with the non seeing genre, I have not notice that option to use roon metadata database

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me about bookmarks.

I think it’s time to take a step back from fiddling with genres and settings and just listen to some full albums.

I’ll play around with focus and bookmarks later.
But now that I know my issue was user error and not system failure I might just go back to using only personal genre tags.
I can see how having multiple genres for a given album would be useful for cross referencing and discovery but for setting a specific mood it’s too chaotic for me.

2 Likes

Agreed!! :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.