Focus values have vanished

According to Focus, I no longer have any storage locations despite the fact that as I write this a recording is playing just fine from my one and only storage location, a Western Digital 10tb external hard drive connected via USB to the Windows 11 machine on which Roon resides, the F: drive. The storage and QObuz locations will eventually appear (along with a mysterious “Music” folder that has only three albums in it that should be on the hard drive), but press Focus again and they go away. Even then, other values in Focus stay missing. There are, for example, no longer any format, channel layout, bit depth or sample rate values, and I have many that were all showing up yesterday. Unplugging/replugging the hard drive and forcing rescan has had no effect. Neither has rebooting the computer, and I noted that Roon took more time than usual to come up afterward. It doesn’t sound like anything is wrong with Roon, but I’ve lost most of the search values in Focus. I updated the computer’s BIOS last night with the assistance of Dell support, which by all visual accounts was successful.

Per About in Roon my IPad (controller only) is at Roon version 2.0 (build 1398) but does not say it’s the latest version, while Roon Server is at version 2.0 (build 1401) production (64 bit), and I have the latest version installed.

That, I think, is the issue - you should have the server and client both on the same build numbers.

1 Like

According to the App Store, 1398 is the latest Roon Remote version.

Sorry, you’re correct. So let’s see what the Support team have to say about this.

Hi @Dennis_Brandt,

An odd issue you have indeed! Are you still experiencing it?

If so, could you remove Roon from the iPad and perform a fresh reinstall?

At the moment, all is working, but my computer has been flaky lately. Everything is fine at night but by the next day things go haywire. Dell has looked at the issue and theorizes the WD Book hard drive might be the issue, although the firmware on that is up to date. We’ve updated the BIOS and several drivers. At this point, it doesn’t look like Roon is the problem, but the final decision has yet to be made.

It’s not working again. The computer worked last night with the hard drive connected but cannot be accessed this morning. This is now typical behavior. The variable is having the hard drive connected overnight. Don’t connect the hard drive and the computer is functional the next day. The one thing I know that happens every night is the Roon backup. Is it possible that something is going awry there? If so, it’s taking down the entire computer, not just Roon. I note that in the RoonBackups folder there is is a Roon_backup file dated February 2, 2024, and a Roon_backup_root dated April 26, 2024 (today) at 2:00 AM, which the backup time. I see nothing in those files (using notepad) other than those values. There are also files named 1b9ff375-8d25-9f81-d1aa-bf4fe5a57ce1 dated February 1, 2024, and 271a50bc-db95-aa11-3bb2-8d06c43135b7 dated September 1, 2023. They contain folders with just numbers or number/letter names.

I did a forced backup, and everything still functions, apparently relieving Roon backup of responsibility, but I am going to have the backup not run tonight and leave the hard drive connected. If the computer is still working tomorrow morning, that may point the problem at the Roon backup. If not . . . well . . . maybe Western Digital has an idea. (All firmware on the hard drive is up to date as it is maintained via Windows updates, and Dell Support Assist scans of the hard drive reveal no issues.)

Addendum: I also downloaded an update to the NVIDIA video card.

Thanks for the update @Dennis_Brandt,

Let me know how this goes! :mag:

The computer is up and running today without the Roon backup having occurred last night. Tonight the backup will take place, so we shall see what tomorrow brings.

1 Like