Browse by folder structure Redux

Hi Jim,
Thanks for breaking out this redux thread. What you have is not massively different to my set up with a NUC etc so let me ask a few Q’s to see if there are some tweaks to your workflow to make things a little smoother.

1. Dragging on to the Roon remote. Are you using a Roon Organised Folder ?

2. where is the main folder located that the dragged albums land in ? Is that on the NUC or another drive somewhere on the network or hanging off the NUC? Can you copy folders to that location using normal PC/mac copy actions (forget Roon for a mo)?

3. Using your 3 CD set as a good example…I also see that dbpa does often get the wrong disc number with these so a bit of care is required at the ripping stage. Double check what meta data comes in and whether it matches the physical media you have in hand is always a good thing.

4. I typically rip on a laptop using dbpa. The multi discs of a set may initially be in separate folders. This is largely because of the tagging and file saving rules that are used. The folder names may be slightly different depending on what data came down into dbpa and whether I overwrote it at the rip stage. Regardless I will usually perform a tidy-up in mp3tag see 5)

5. Pointing at the rip destination folder on my laptop, I fix the newly ripped CD to be exactly how I want it using mp3tag (use whatever tag tool you like)

I find that a single \artist\album folder containing all tracks tagged and saved with correct disc number and album title works very well with Roon album ID matching

Hopefully this picture works

1. I then copy the files over to my watched folder on my NAS. Job done.

The above may seem a lot but it is actually a very slick process and it gives Roon the best shot at getting an ID. Note: I don’t use an Roon organised folder; only watched folders.

Obviously there are 1001 ways other folks will do this. Just sharing what works for me.
At no stage do I ever need a folder browser in Roon to see stuff nor do I use Roon album edit to fix stuff either.

Does anything resonate as a possible tweak to what you do ?

1 Like