Folders from 2nd NAS backup not showing up

Hi Mohammed, I take back what I said about trying the NTP fix, I just discovered a recent problem that appeared after I tried the NTP fix. I’ll explain further later after I investigate a bit more.

Regards,
Mario

Hi Noris,
I have a new issue that has come up since I tried the NTP & SMB fixes you asked us to do. I do my primary backup to a folder on the same NAS where my music is stored. It is not a watched folder. I had been doing a second backup to a folder on a 2nd NAS where all my computer backups are. When I reconnected Roon ROCK to my music NAS using the IP address I did the same thing for the 2nd NAS, connecting it using the IP address.

Up until a day or two ago I was able to do the second backups with no problem, however last night the second backup did a scheduled backup and it appears I’ve lost some of the folders. They still show up in storage but it appears nothing is being imported from them. Doing a forced rescan has no effect. If I reboot the Roon Rock the albums reappear and storage shows them as being imported. If I force the secondary backup to run again the same behavior occurs.

I’ve reset the NAS configuration to what it was before doing the NTP & SMB tests but that has had no effect. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Mario

Hello @Mario_Bucco,

Just to make sure I understand you here, you are saying that the second NAS (which did not have the SMB Cache Cleared and NTP Time Updated) has folders that are missing the backups?

Do you have media files inside the backup folder and the media files do not show up in Roon at all? Or are you not able to select any backups using the backup manager for the secondary backup folder? I am not sure I understand this part, clarification would be appreciated.

As a general note, can you please try rebooting your Core, NAS and Network to see if that helps?

Hi Noris,

I’m sorry for not making myself clear. All of my music folders and the primary backup folder for doing Roon database backups are located on NAS 1, a Synology DS218+. I had been doing a secondary backup of the Roon database to a shared folder on NAS 2, a Synology DS918+. NAS 2 is used for doing backups of all the computers in my household but does not have any music folders stored on it. Both the primary backup to NAS 1 & the secondary backup to NAS 2 were set to run automatically. They were setup using “Settings > Backups > Scheduled Backups” in Roon. They had been operating normally up until a few days ago.

Recently, after doing the NTP & SMB fixes you suggested trying to NAS 1, when Roon does the scheduled primary backup to NAS 1 everything is fine. Going through “Settings > Storage” and looking at the folders being watched they all show the number of tracks imported. A total of 5062 albums, 69160 tracks and 2200 artists.
However when Roon does the scheduled secondary backup to NAS 2 the number of albums, tracks and artists showing up in Roon is significantly reduced. In going through “Settings > Storage” to look at the watched folders I find that at least two folders are not showing any tracks imported. If I reboot my Roon ROCK the correct number of albums, tracks and artists are again showing up and in “Settings > Storage” all the folders are showing the correct number of tracks imported.

I checked that both NAS 1 & NAS 2 were showing the same time in NTP and cleared the SMB cache on both. I then rebooted NAS 1, NAS 2 & Roon ROCK and did a “Force Backup Now” on the secondary backup. The results were the same, the number of albums, tracks & artists were reduced by the same numbers and the same folders in storage were not showing any tracks being imported. I rebooted the Roon ROCK and again the correct number of albums, tracks & artists showed up and all the folders in storage are showing the correct number of tracks imported. I have deleted the secondary backup from my scheduled backups and the problem has not reoccurred. The primary backup is acting normally but I’m not able to do a secondary backup at this point.

I hope this explanation clears things up.

Regards,
Mario

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I appreciate your patience here while I have had a chance to discuss your most recent findings with the team, and I have gone ahead and spit your issue for the 2nd NAS into it’s own thread so we can take a closer look at this behavior.

Can you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage tab when this issue is occurring? What are exact folders are not being read? Are you certain that these two backups contain the same database? Does the 2nd NAS still have sufficient free space available?

It sounds like your saying that just the act of performing a backup on the second NAS is causing the files in your Roon Database to shrink down, is my understanding of this issue correct? This is when you just make the backup and don’t restore it from the 2nd NAS or are you restoring it and then seeing the reduced number of files?

Hi Noris,

Yes that is correct. I’m not restoring just making a backup to a 2nd location.

I’ve already removed the secondary backup from my settings. I’ll try to add one back in the next day or two. The 2nd NAS has over 10 Tb of available space.

Regards,
Mario

1 Like

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

Thanks for clarifying that aspect. Can you note the exact local time + date in your country when you run a backup to the secondary share and this behavior occurs? I wonder if diagnostics can provide some more clues, as I have not seen any other report of such behavior when only performing the backup (and not restoring it).

Hi Noris,

Sorry to not get back sooner, I was away for a few days. Ok, to add to the weirdness. I tried this morning to add the second backup location to automatic backups with the same result of reduced numbers of albums, tracks & artists. The two folders which I believe are affected are “iTunes & mp3 Conversion Folders” and “Bandcamp”. I did not even try to run the second backup just the process of adding it to automatic backups triggered a rescan by Roon.

Well, I removed the 2nd Backup from automatic backups in settings and restarted Roon Rock, as before everything came back. I then decided to try doing a manual backup to the second backup location using Settings>Backups>Backup Now and it worked fine. No problems that I can tell, the numbers of albums, tracks & artists is unchanged.

I just remembered something else, when I looked at storage I noticed there was an old watching iTunes library entry. Since I don’t have an iTunes library anywhere except on my DAW computer I removed the iTunes entry from storage.

I unfortunately did not note the exact local time but all of this was done between about 9:45 and 10:30 am, Eastern Standard Time in the US.

Being able to do a manual secondary backup is fine with me. Unless you’d like to continue looking into this or a problem with doing manual backups starts I think you can close this thread.

Regards,
Mario

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp window and for confirming the issue once more. I have never seen this kind of behavior so I would like QA to take a look at the logs once they arrive. If you are using manual backups just fine, you can continue to do so for the time being, but as I mentioned your symptoms sound very strange. I will let you know when I have gathered more info from the logs.

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I was wondering if it would be possible to gather manual logs from your ROCK as the automatic diagnostics package from your ROCK has not yet reached out servers. Can you please use these instructions to manually upload a set to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and provide me a link? Thanks!

Hi Noris,

I’ll be happy to, however you’ll need to provide me the alternate way to send them as I’m not with Dropbox, Google Drive or Send.firefox.

Regards,
Mario

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I have just send you a private message with alternate upload instructions.
Thanks!

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

I wanted to update you regarding this case. I have recently brought this report along with the diagnostics from your Core to the senior dev team for closer inspection, and we believe to have enough information to submit this as a bug report.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report and I appreciate your patience while the devs investigate this further!

Hi Noris,

Thanks for keeping me updated. To update you, I recently picked up a 10 tb external hard drive and copied all my music from the NAS to the external hd and connected that directly to my ROCK via usb 3.0. The external hd is now my storage for Roon and the NAS is now just for music file backup. At any rate I am now able to do automatic Roon Backups to both the external hd and the music NAS. It’s been running successfully for three weeks.

Regards,
Mario

1 Like

Hi @Mario_Bucco,

Thanks for the additional information, glad to hear that the external HDD is not exhibiting this behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.