For max SQ : stream in 32-bit or 24-bit to a 24-bit DAC (CXN)?

After some light DSP (volume levelling) I can set the Roon output stream to my CA CXN v2 in 32-bit resolution, but the CXN has a 24-bit DAC. So will the CXN downgrade to 24-bit anyway before DA conversion ? In that case I guess it’s best to have Roon send a 24-bit stream in the first place.

I’ve very briefly been AB testing this and can’t really hear a difference. I just want to make sure the setup is optimal.

Thanks to anyone who can shine their light on this.

1 Like

Set it to 32 and look at your signal path to see what is going on. Are we talking a V1 and USB or V2 using the Network?

It’s a V2 using network.

That looks quite happy from a Roon perspective. Don’t worry too much about what the CXN chooses to do, whatever it does will be to its best advantage. If you can’t hear a difference then go with 24 bits for reduced bandwidth loading.

1 Like

Thanks and yes, I’ve settled with 24 bits for now for the reason you mention. I did send the question to CA support, just to see if they come with a more detailed answer on this. Will take a couple of days before I get an answer I guess.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.