Force Roon radio to pick locally available versions of songs instead of streaming them

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.6 (build 416) running on Windows 10 x64 machine.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus router and Synology NAS for storing local FLAC library.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Squeezebox Touch and iOS devices

Description Of Issue

I’m looking for a way to force Roon into picking locally available (on my NAS) versions of tracks instead of going out to Tidal (or any streaming service) to stream them. Is there an option for this or maybe a hack I can implement?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

From FAQ: What’s Radio and how does it work?:

I think what the op is asking for is that when roon radio picks a track it should play the local version if available, but still be able to enjoy intermingled selections from the streaming service. Makes sense to me. Happens all the time that roon streams something that is already in my local library. A waste of bandwidth. I’m not currently limited, so not a huge deal for me, but a lot of people are. And it’s wasteful either way.

4 Likes

^^^
Precisely this. For me, it’s more of a sound quality issue rather than a bandwidth issue, however. My local FLAC versions (sometimes vinyl rips) just sound better to me than their Tidal counterparts (I have the $9.99 plan).

Also from FAQ: What’s Radio and how does it work?:

So no, but there exist already several feature requests that cover this. Feel free to add your opinion to any or all of them.

1 Like

Thank you.

• 1 here…

Very often i listen to songs from rron radio via Qobuz but would be available in my local collection…

Ditto here. Roon radio seems wedded to tidal even though the same song is available on the local library.
Can someone from roon respond to this is a clear manner?

This is one reason why i Limit Radio to local library. I dont want to hear a song which i really like from qobuz, Just to learn few seconds later, that its anyway in my collection…

I would like to be able to enjoy selections from the streaming services as well, but if the track is already in the local library ( and very often in better quality) Roon should (but doesnt) pick the locally available version.

1 Like

I’m chiming in just to say I’d like this feature as well. I just started getting into Roon Radio and I love it, but it should definitely pull my versions of songs since I’ve gotten those just how I like them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.