Formats - Do they really ever die?

Agreed that a mk1 Cortina is a thing of beauty now, especially a Lotus variant.
But the prices…ouch.

My bucket lotto winning list would include a mk1 Lotus Cortina and a rs2000.

1 Like

Daniel might have to edit title again if we carry on about cars…:joy:

You could put a decent Hi-Fi into a classic car. There we go, back on subject!

1 Like

Lmao… good enough.

Actually one of the very first tasks at hand upon purchase of a new to me car ( read beat up unwanted and unloved cast off) was to install a radio cassette player and biggest speakers I could manage to fit into rear parcel shelf.
I admit to hacking the steel of many a rear deck…lol.

So yes back to formats!

3 Likes

I put some speakers in the back of a transit van. Thought the were the dogs…, unfortunately the cassette deck wasn’t powerful enough to drive them above the sound of the engine! Kids!

1 Like

And vinyl can be subcatagorized into 78s, 33 1/3s and 45s, in that order. I never used DAT or minidisc, but I did record onto Super VHS, which had hifi specs.

1 Like

In the 60s, it was fix or repair daily.

2 Likes

Started with vinyl (45s, LPs, and even had a few hand-me-down 78s from my Grandmother). Then moved to 8-Track, including in my car and an 8-Track player/recorder in my home system, then cassette, then CD. I still have a connected turntable and records, but haven’t actually played one in about 12 years. (And I ruined many a car rear packet tray installing speakers to play my aftermarket 8-track through!)

4 Likes

I totally forgot about Super VHS, I never had a deck of that format but did hear it was supposed to be excellent sq, as it could be considering the tape width available.

No, no, dont go looking on eBay, self control darn it!

3 Likes

Formats may never die, but they surely become obsolete. All physical media are now obsolete, kept alive only by nostalgia and marketing.

It’s probably a dinosaur thing…

1 Like

And people who know a good thing when they hear it rather than just follow a new fad.

3 Likes

Reviving obsolete formats every now and then is a fad. Analog media sales are still a tiny fraction of what they used to be, and an even tinier fraction of digital media consumption. Aren’t we all using Roon here? It doesn’t stream vinyl. Unless we destroy civilization and go back to basics, digital will remain the dominant format, for the right reasons.

It streams digitised vinyl and provides information on what I’m streaming so still fits in. I also like to own my music rather than rent it. I see digitising my vinyl the same as taping it in the 80s. Not all modern fads are much different from the old ways even though people like to think that they are.

Unless we destroy civilization and go back to basics, digital will remain the dominant format, for the right reasons.

Until something else comes along.

Just because it is a Roon forum does not mean that the only subjects or music listened to has to be Roon sourced afaik.

I just love analog media, always have and always will…

Just let’s enjoy the music regardless of format :+1:

1 Like

I just found my old Cassette of Never a Dull Moment that traveled with me in my formative years… I will be keeping it and may even see if it can play… Happy Days…

2 Likes

“It streams digitised vinyl”
That’s not vinyl anymore, is it? There’s no stylus, no groove, nothing spins… It’s just digital with clicks, pops, reduced dynamic range and specific distortion.

“I also like to own my music rather than rent it.”
Me too. I buy CDs (which I promptly rip) and digital downloads.

“Until something else comes along.”
If it’s better, bring it on. Old analog formats are not better. But since digital currently meets or exceeds our hearing abilities, it will make sense to find something better when our hearing gets better with evolution. Until then, it will just be attempts to monetize on nostalgia and gimmicks (revivals, high-res, MQA).

The digital stream isn’t the original analogue master either.

I accept your points but you aren’t going to change my opinion. Been interesting though.

Unless they were created from better masters, which can be the case. You have to check your pres and amp nowadays, like the Devialet, some digitize all analog ins anway, so you might as well rip your vinyl.

Or just play your vinyl and tapes…:innocent:

1 Like