Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Magnepan Magneplanar Little Ribbon Speakers, the original. They are easy to move (20 lbs each), image beautifully, have wonderful transient response, and cover most of the spectrum present in jazz and folk/bluegrass, my main listening categories. They also do well with orchestral music. And they are easy to place, believe Magnepan about the distance off the back wall and spacing. And budget friendly at $1000/pair plus freight.

The LRS is very resolving harmonically and temporally. Cymbals are natural where well recorded. Drums have proper transients and snares are cleanly articulated. You can tell acoustic and electric bass apart. Bowed bass reproduces with the string slip and stick clear. Piano sound dances and sparkles in the upper registers. Voices are cleanly separated (Scarlet Town on Thile-Mehldau). The LRS will clearly differentiate DAC voicing and temporal behavior. And jitter. Before it presents as hiss, it will present as a loss of spaciousness.

The LRS has been revised since I purchased my pair. The LRS is specifically designed to be a demo of the larger products. It has the same voicing and transient response. It’s just smaller, 15 inches by 48 inches and is best suited for smaller rooms (fine in a 400 square foot great room). Magnepan offers a purchase credit toward the larger numbered models. The bigger panels can fill larger spaces. The most expensive versions have a true ribbon tweeter.

The LRS is a line source. The traditional thumb rules for placement still hold, half the space width apart on space centerline and 3 to 6 feet off the back wall.

The LRS is a dipole radiator (front and back). I still double-take when I step behind one and hear the playing program clearly. Something to remember placing pet beds. The placement off the back wall phases the reflected back wave with the front affecting the voicing. Once the correct position is found, they can be moved out for playback or tucked back for the news.

That little bit of lean backward has two effects. It makes them more stable, ie harder for the dog to knock over, and it raises the panel radiation pattern up to ear level at the normal listening distance. Don’t stand them up straight as beam axis will be at gut level vice ear level.

I have used them for movie playback. They are spooky in their reproduction of Foley effects. They will probably not satisfy boy-movie fans.

The LRS needs a beefy amplifier capable of high current as their back EMF behavior is different than other speakers. Impedance is relatively constant at 4 ohms. A Schiit Vidar is happy to about 85 dbA. Above 90, things get strange. A bit louder and Vidar will take a nap. My Vidar is an original running in stereo mode. Mono-blocks are optional but not needed in smaller rooms with sane level expectations.

2 Likes

JansZen Valentina P8.
Passive, hybrid electrostatic.

Drivers include a center electrostatic panel plus dual 8 inch woofers and side-firing tweeters. ~40 inches (1m) tall, 70 lbs each (which approaches the upper weight limit for what I’d want to move by myself).

Although they are passive, they do need to be plugged in to charge the electrostatic panels. The speakers have adjustable tone controls (3 way switches for bass, dials for midrange and treble). Screw-in feet are adjustable for speaker tilt (or to compensate for irregular floors).

JamsZen Tone Controls

These are fairly beamy speakers (tightly focused on the sweet spot), so the soundstage tends to collapse if you stand up (but this effect can be mitigated by cranking up the adjustable tweeters). They’re probably best for 1 or 2 listeners in a near field arrangement.

Made to order at a small shop in Ohio. Custom veneers/finishes available. I ordered them with conventional horizontal 5-way binding posts, not the Cardas bindings pictured above with the single clamping knob (which is JansZen’s standard offering). A bi-amping option is available. An active version (the Valentina A8) also is available.

3 Likes

I have the AudioWaves HX-500 passive speakers, and they impress me with their crisp highs and punchy bass.

I am running Kii BXTs and a pair of ATC SCM100ASLs (different rooms).

I love both

Andrew

Wilson Alexia 2.

They are so expensive, they must be superb. :rofl:

Positive: They are very dynamic, got a great soundstage and are sound wise completely invisible.

Negative: They want to stand on the exact right position in the room, or they misbehave. Well, I found the right position for them and now I‘m happy.

3 Likes

Still new to Roon and contemplating whether to go for lifetime or not. But enjoying it with my hybrid vintage/modern setup:

DAC: raspberry pi with hifiberry dac2hd and
Speakers: active Philips MFB 587 (late seventies) that got some maintenance (replaced transistors and capacitors).

Server: Mac mini m2

Remote: iPad mini

Not sure about the iPad mini for controlling it all. But so far it is working and sounding great!

7 Likes

Buchardt P300’s. They are bookshelf size, they sound like floor standers and they look cool…

5 Likes

After a passive pair of Audio Physics, I performed an upgrade to an active pair of Wiener Lautsprecher Manufaktur (WLM) Franz S. Completely handcrafted from a massive wooden block through CNC‘ing the internal contour and doing a perfect outer finish.

The guys of WLM and especially their head developer Martin Schützenauer aim for THE live sound experience. And they really manage! While being extremely powerful through the use of individual amps for the three ranges (bass chassis are counter acting on top and bottom) they are extremely precise.

Individual adjustment, e.g. for room acoustics, can be made with volume and contrast adjustments on the backpanel.

I really love them.

5 Likes

Sehring Audio S913 Curved

Why:

2 Likes

Salk SS 9.5 (the first pair shipped):

You can read my impressions at Salk SS 9.5s - A mini-review, two weeks in

4 Likes

I switched from a pair of B&W DM3000 to KEF LS50 Wireless II’s, and I’m happy. The B&W were warm and friendly, but slightly mushy. The KEFs are crisp and neutral and detailed. They also do double duty as speakers for my TV. Roon-ready, too.

1 Like

I used to have the USB versions of these, paired with my Mac Cube. Kept them for years as they sounded great. A big, expansive sound from tiny speakers.
Although they were for the desktop, occasionally I would use them around the house with my iPad. Had they been the analogue input versions, I don’t think I would have sold them.

1 Like

Perhaps due to the angle but they look enormous!

Well they certainly aren’t small, but the angle makes them look enormous for sure. :rofl: If you scroll down in the linked review, you can get a better sense. They are about 42 inches tall.

1 Like