Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Hi fellow Rooners,

I thought it might be interesting to do a forum poll. What loudspeakers do you have (brand, model, make…)? Are they active, passive or full range speakers? Perhaps you could share some photos/links/info…

This thread is only intended to be a neutral poll. It doesn’t aim at a general debate about the pros and cons of active vs passive speakers. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t or shouldn’t say what you like about the system you have. :grinning:

Looking forward to your posts…

26 Likes

The have been the mainstay of my Hi-Fi since 2004:
212B272D-292E-47C3-A2B9-31D6DDAEC1A4

ATC SCM 100 ASLT (active)

Love that the class A/B amps and drivers are very well matched, that I never have to think about amplification or cables and that they’re superb at low and high volume.

12 Likes

Passive:

Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution

Dynaudio Contour 1.3

Sonus Faber Toy

Active:

Kef LS50w

Yamaha HS8 for Piano/Synth

Meridian M100 (in storage)

1 Like

Passive.

Monitor Audio Gold. 2 sets GR20, 1set GR10 bookshelves. These handle two channel duties.

Monitor Audio LCR center
Monitor Audio GXFX surrounds
Monitor Auduo RS1 Bookshelves surround rear

Active sub, ML Dynamo.

About three models back from the current series, but they are some well broken in aluminum speaks. Thousands of hours for sure :grinning:

1 Like

2 active sets:

ADAM A5X
KEX X300A

1 Like

Passive Monitor Audio PL100
monitor audio pl100
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/platinum/pl100/

3 Likes

I use a pair of Manger c1 Active Studio Monitors in my recording studio.
Manger
http://www.manger-msw.de/en/systems/product/c1

In my acoustically tuned listening room I have another pair of active speakers: Backes & Müller BM Line 35.

BM Line 35
This is the successor to the model I have.

For more information and some photos of my listening room click here.

20 Likes

Spendor SA1 (passive, previously part of my bedroom hifi, now likely to be my main hi-fi till I can build a listening room again).

1E2B594C-3E00-4A9F-8635-B0172AE2D660

I sold these a year ago and bought them back a month or so ago. They’re diminutive but they love power and defy physics, somehow generating some bottom end out of that tiny driver and enclosure.

2 Likes

Can I suggest a third category - speakers which use full range drivers. The amplifier drives the speaker directly with no crossover so more like active than passive.

I use Jordan Aurora 800s - 2 Jordan Eikona full-range speakers per cabinet - each speaker driven by a separate amplifier channel.

My review of Aurora 800

1 Like

Both. Meridian DSP3200 and PMC Wafer.

1 Like

Meridian Active Speakers. Not DSP. M60.2’s and M33’s M1500 Sub In Trifield. They blend seamlessly to my ears.

3 Likes

Both: Meridian DSP5200SE and Linn Sara.

1 Like

Meridian DSP actives (several pairs).
Focal analogue actives (on desk) as low latency tracking monitors.

1 Like

I’m using actives… www.linkwitzlab.com LX521, LXmini, Orion and Pluto.

Yes I really have a pair of each…all of them I built myself bar the Orion’s that I got second hand that were Wood Artistry built.

I show some pics when I get time to take some.

1 Like

Meridian DSP5200:

5 Likes

forty year-old QUAD esl57s (electrostatic, so powered, but passive, since they need separate amps)

So far I’ve successfully resisted the temptation to audition a pair of Kii Three speakers as possible replacements…

7 Likes

active for more than ten years now and never have looked back. First with a pair of Genelec 8050A (now in my study) and since 2015 with a pair of Neumann KH 420 in the living room.
Some will call them ugly, but I love them :wink:

7 Likes

Livingroom: passive: Vienna Acoustics Schonberg powered by Primare A33.2 and fed by a Wadia Di122 DAC.
https://www.lifestylestore.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/i/vienna_acoustics_sschoenberg_speakers_3_1.jpg
Study: active Audioengine A2 fed by a Nuprime uDSD DAC.
product_image_sq_a2plus_blk_1-400x400

4 Likes

I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 801. I bought it in 2003.
bw801
The photo gives you a pretty good idea of why this (passive) speaker is sometimes nicknamed THE WASHING MACHINE…:joy:

11 Likes

Noteperfect Maestro
Active bass, Passive mids, tweeters

FC368A0A-05C5-4FAD-A0F2-BB1771327778

1 Like