I seem to get very inaccurate results. For example:
When I search for Bruno Nicolai it turns up 1 result: Eugenie De Sade '70 (April 8) within soundtracks section, yet I’ve posted about 5 of his albums within the soundtrack section. It doesn’t even show the album I have just recently posted.
When I filter the results - posted by me, I still get the same.
I’ve noticed this previously but didn’t pay too much attention to it. However, I would like the results to be accurate, so people don’t need to wade through months of posts to ensure accuracy.
I’ve noticed something similar when trying to find posts for unavailable Qobuz tracks yesterday. Was expecting to have to wade through loads of results and got next to none instead. A bit of an anecdotal contribution but this sounded very familiar…
That’s for the #roonlabsllc category, admittedly the #roonlabsllc:meta is a subset of it, but don’t take the hierarchy too literally … this is a good place for your question (and better than unclassified where it was moved from).
Not at all, trust level 3 users can also move posts, as was the case in this instance.
Also remember that mods don’t work for Roon we just help to keep the forum managed.
Your question will need to be investigate by the Roon tech team that runs this site, you have tagged @support to get Roon’s attention … there is little more to do from the mods.
No worries about moving it ged. I had no idea, hence uncategorised.
As per Carl I can only get 3 results now (1 from this thread here). I’ve tried numerous advanced search features, it makes no difference. I’d have thought ‘posted by’: Nostro may have helped. That doesn’t help and still turns up the post from 2016 that was another Bruno & not mine!
I also assume if I don’t get ‘proper’ results or anything close, this would be the same for all other users & most likely are completely unaware.
He did type the name in text in the forum. The odd thing is that when I displayed all his posts in the Soundtracks topic in a single web page, and then used Ctrl+F to search for the text in Microsoft Edge, it also didn’t return any hits…
I highlighted the name to copy it into some other app and as on the screenshot the first option is translate…
I wonder if that is because chrome decided it is foreign or something odd so it’s not showing up…
Not sure if that’s the case, given if returns some results but not all. I guess that’s a possibility, but that would apply to any other forum & I don’t think (but can’t confirm), if I’ve encountered this problem previously.
Notwithstanding, I’m not a forum member anywhere else these days.