Frequent Connection Loss to Roon on MacBook Air M1 (ref#JHGD0A)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

· Sometimes I can connect, sometimes I can't

Describe the issue

Lately I'm losing connection to Roon frequently. In the middle of a song it just stops. This is new. Didn't have that before. It is very disturbing. I am using a MacBook Air M1 and I have a fast Internet connection.

1 Like

@Jeroen_Jacobs, how is your Air connected to your network, Ethernet cable or WiFi? If via WiFi, can you connect it with an Ethernet cable to determine if the WiFi connection may be an issue?

Hi,

Until now, I used WiFi and it was always working well. The distance to my router is roughly 9 meters, very few obstacles since it’s in the same room, and I have set my router to full power. Worked well, no dropouts, only the last 2 - 3 weeks having this issue.
I guess I will have to switch to a wired connection then. I hope that solves the issue. Will have to buy a new adapter for my MacBook with network connection first. Will let you know how that works out.

Thank you @Jeroen_Jacobs. Is it possible to force your Air to use the 5 GHz band if you need to stay on WiFi? This band has higher capacity than the 2.4 GHz band. This may help (and is what I use to connect Roon devices via WiFi when necessary).

Hi Robert,
I checked the settings of my router and it was set to 50% WiFi power for healthy reasons (some people don’t mind; we do). It has options for, 6, 12, 25, 50 and 100%. I forgot about that. Will try 100% and see if that solves the issue. I remember I also have a WLAN repeater. That would help for sure when I position it close to my MacBook.
In the long run I will probably switch to wired. thanks for your advice.

PS: I now did check with 100% WiFi power setting of my router, and the issue is exactly the same. Doesn’t matter if 50% or 100% (as I said, there are hardly obstacles in our room). It suddenly completely stops. Feeling is almost like somebody remotely is disturbing my connection.
My router is top class, German made, best one available over here. My internet connection usually is stable and very fast (up to 1000 Mbit/s).

1 Like

Try with a temporary Ethernet cable, then you will know if it’s the wifi.

One problem with wifi is that the quality can change without you knowing because something changed in the neighborhood. The router‘s admin web page should tell you the current connection bandwidth, but this doesn’t always reflect the real situation.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. I increased security:

• Enable support for protected Wi-Fi device logins (PMF).
  • Limit Wi-Fi access to known Wi-Fi devices.

If this doesn’t help sufficiently, I will try the Ethernet cable.

So far, I got no interruptions!

1 Like

Hi @Jeroen_Jacobs,

Thank you for your report and for your willingness to tinker.

Roon’s lossless protocols are uncompressed. They’ll be sensitive to packet loss in an environment with any Wifi interference - these sample dropouts can accumulate and kill the stream. The upstream/downstream speed required for Roon to stream high-res content reliably is surprisingly low - it’s the throughput that matters. Roon is robust and can handle some sample loss, but if there’s active interference in a vulnerable network, there are plenty of straws to break the camel’s back. Another cause can be bandwidth throttling - if you have a mesh network or heavily managed network, I’d verify that any Quality of Service or bandwidth allocation rules are maximized for the machine running Roon Server.

This is something we can usually pinpoint in logging. If you experience a dropout moving forward, let us know here either the approximate time/date or the name of the track that you were playing. We can activate diagnostics to pinpoint the event - this should help us deduce the cause.

2 Likes

Hi,
After the price re-structuring of Tidal I experience lossy streaming of Tidal content. The maximum resolution they are streaming now (This is Hamburg / Germany) is 44.1 kHz / 16 bit. I also can’t change that in Roon settings. The options I have are “High” and “Low”. However with Qobuz I have the option “Up to 24bit / 196 kHz” which is what it should be. Do you get any issues like this reported? It’s really weird. I am close to ending my Tidal subscription.

I am in Berlin and it’s fine for me in Tidal:

I re-installed the latest version of Roon and the problem with Tidal is gone. Can set to “Max”. My issue is solved !!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.