Frequent disconnect from the core (NAS)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7 Built 710, stable. Installed on NAS QNAP H-251, Two racks (2 x 4Tb)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet / RJ45 Cables CAT7
Switch - Netgear GS305V3

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAIM MUSO QB2 - Wired connection / RJ45 (main audio device)

Description Of Issue

I encounter quite frequent disconnection from the core installed on NAS. Sometimes, the signal goes out and it takes around one minute to reconnect with the core and continue the playback.

If you have some unshielded CAT 6 or CAT 6a lying around it is worth swapping your ethernet cables out. There is no guarantee this will solve your problem but it will eliminate one variable.

There have been several posts on issues with CAT 7 especially with consumer grade switches and NAS. CAT 7 uses a proprietary connector that is in principle backwards compatible with RJ45 but there is a lot of scope for mismatches between termination and equipment etc. You can read more here:

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Networking/what-is-cat7-and-why-you-don-t-need-it

Your QNAP H-251’s CPU (Celeron J1800) is quite a way below the recommended hardware spec for running a Roon core. Have you looked at CPU/Memory usage while running Roon?

Hello. Thank you. I thought it could have the relation to the CPU/Memory too, but it is always between 1.2-1.35 Gb / 1.85G available, even during the playout of DSD128 files. I will continue to monitor it, especially when disconnections occur.

Hi @Vladimir_Grayvoronsk,

Does the issue occur if you try to use a Core that meets our Minimum Requirements?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Hi Noris.

I tried this. Did not notice any failure for the time being. However, the goal is to use the NAS (always on) for the music and multiroom experience, not a PC.

Perhaps my NAS memory is too just for Roon…

Intel® Celeron® 2.41GHz dual-core processor (burst up to 2.58GHz)
Flash memory:512MB DOM
RAM: 2GB DDR3L RAM

1 Like

Hi @Vladimir_Grayvoronsk,

Thanks for trying the PC Core!

It doesn’t look like your NAS meets either the CPU or RAM requirements to run Roon. In this case your best solution would be to use Roon on a properly spec’d Core like your PC. If you are looking for a dedicated Core device, I would highly suggest looking into ROCK: Roon Optimized Core Kit as a server!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.