FS: 8th Gen i5 Intel NUC - NUC8I5BEH with ROCK INSTALLED [SOLD]

Hey everyone,

So I discovered Roon last year, fell in love with the product and installed an Intel NUC based Roon Rock system throughout the house. Mostly BlueSound based nodes but also some NAD Masters series gear and a Brookyn Bridge DAC/Headphone amp. Heaven.

I also have a recording studio in town and thought a separate system there would be perfect too. I purchased an other Intel NUC, created a separate Roon Rock server and started a separate subscription. It’s the perfect system because if I need to restart the Mac during a session or something like that, I can at least play music for clients from Roon while we wait to be back up and running again. It was a really lovely luxury and I really enjoyed showing clients Roon.

Things were going perfectly until COVID hit and we could not get into the studio since everything was shut down. When we eventually did get back up and running, we found out that the building had done some network filtering and was completely blocking Roon from calling home. Since we are using the free internet access that the building provides, there is not much we can do about it besides getting our own separate service, which is not financially possible at the moment.

So sadly, I have decided to cancel the second subscription and put this essentially brand new Intel Based NUC up for sale here. I figure everyone here knows Roon and we can find it a good home together. It’s a little bit of a chore to install Roon OS on a NUC and since I’ve already done that bit, this will be a very plug and play solution for someone. All you’d need to do is power the NUC up, plug in an ethernet cable, log into your Roon account and you’re up and running.

Here are the specs of the system:

• Intel NUC8I5BEH Mini PC NUC Kit
  • Samsung 250GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
  • Crucial DDR4-2400 8GM RAM/Memory

Also, please see pics attached and, upon request, I can send anyone seriously interested a video of the system working to get that extra bit of security.

All in I paid $565 for the separate components…and a couple hours to install Roon Server OS… :wink: At this point I’d be happy to recover $400 via PayPal to get this unit to someone who can fully utilize it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do.

Thanks!

Wade

it may be crazy, but just a thought, something to try, go to the webpage for your Nuc Roon Rock, and set the DNS to your own choice, this is Google.

Oh interesting. I did not try that. But the studio’s Mac Pro and any iOS devices that are running as client are all asking me to re-log into Roon (AND the NUC can’t connect), and none of them can even talk to Roon.

I am admittedly quite crap at networking but if you are interested, here is the support thread that I was trying to work through with the team:

You can see some of my router’s network settings there. Maybe I will try changing the DNS of the Apple router that sits in-between all my gear and the building’s ethernet drop in my room? You think that could work? I guess I’m using 8.8.8.8 right now which I thought was Google.

Thanks!

Wade

8.8.8.8 is google dns.1.1.1.1 is cloudfare.

Jason P, Thanks for clearing that up, I set that so many years ago I forgot what it was, it just works better. Tks.

Wade, as long as you can connect to Roon, you can get to the Roon OS Web Interface, see instructions here and from the pic below: https://kb.roonlabs.com/RoonOS_web

Sent you a PM.

Do you still have the computer with rock?

Apologies, no. Sold this week.

Will mark as such…just forgot.

Thanks!

Wade