Fully Rendered MQA Audio (and DSD Audio) Not Available Through USB-C Port of 2018 iPad Pro

Hello @Edward_Gerber, @SPDTDL, & @Isiah_Lau1,

This issue appears to be caused by a bug on the new iPad Pro. We continue to monitor the situation. You can read more about the issue here

-John

That article was 2 months ago and we are now on iOS 12.1.4 yet this is still an issue? Or is it perhaps that this is not the same issue for DAC output at all.

Seems that article is not talking about this problem.

The phenomenon can be described as ipad pro 2018 fails to send sound signal (i.e. DSD/MQA) packing in data stream.

When the device setup is converting DSD/MQA to PCM before sending to iPad, then everything is OK. That’s how I working around this problem now. But I feel pity losing the DoP ability.

I found one sentence in this link may be relevant
https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

If something goes wrong and the data stream is decoded as PCM, the output will be low-level noise with faint music in the back ground, so it fails safely.

iOS may removed some marker code for DSD over PCM and the data stream simply decoded as PCM. The outcome is white noise with faint music.

All these are only my speculation.

1 Like

John and @support

I am convinced that the bug you refer to is NOT the same issue that we are experiencing here. Apple iOS version 12.1.3 provided a fix to that bug per Apple’s own release note, but both MQA and DSD continue to be unlistenable through the third-generation (USB-C) iPad Pro (now at iOS version 12.1.4).

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks for reopening the topic. Again, my apologies for the error.

@support

I am convinced that the bug you refer to is NOT the same issue that we are experiencing here. Apple iOS version 12.1.3 provided a fix to that bug per Apple’s own release note, but both MQA and DSD continue to be unlistenable through the third-generation (USB-C) iPad Pro (now at iOS version 12.1.4).

Just came across this thread and thought I would give it a shot. Seems to be working for me, not sure if Apple pushed an update or why I’m having no issues. I’m running Roon (Tidal Master) - usb-A to usb-C adapter - dragonfly red - headphone. I’m on iOS 12.1.4.

Looks from your signalpath that you have your output set to “No MQA support” and the light on the DF is not purple but magenta? Try changing to “Renderer only” and you’ll probably have the light start flickering.

Ah, that explains it. You are right, switching to renderer produces terrible static, and any form of decoder makes it blue light only. Strange, hope there is a fix soon…although I probably wouldn’t notice too much difference. Still would like to know I’m getting the most out of my music investments though.

Yes, I also set my DF to “no MQA support” when using it with the iPad. You’ll still get the first unfold in Roon but miss out on the rendering stage that would take place in the DAC.

The latest Tidal app for iOS now supports Masters/MQA. Working perfectly with CCK and iPhone with lightning port. DragonFly Red rendering MQA.

The 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C have exactly the same problem as with Roon. So definitely an Apple thing and the way they implemented USB-C it seems.

So happy to have found this thread because I’ve been experiencing the same issue with MQA rendering on a Dragonfly Red via the 2018 iPad Pro USB-C port. I first tried playing Tidal MQA flies via Roon a few months ago and experienced the crackling and dropouts. Tried another USB-C to A adapter but gave up assuming I was trying to do something unsupported in Roon anyway. So when Tidal updated the iOS app with native MQA output the other day, I tried again and experienced the same issue. This led me to believe the problem is a bug with the iPad itself but couldn’t find it referenced anywhere else on the internet until finally stumbling across this thread. So at least I know I’m not the only one!

Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to the mix and confirm I am having the issue as well. Also I can confirm no problem at all with Tidal or Roon MQA via my iPhone X lightning port.

I imagine the sample size of folks wanting to play MQA files via this specific configuration is fairly small but hopefully enough to get Apple’s attention. Surprising that Tidal devs didn’t stumble across this issue during testing of the MQA iOS update. Either way, hope to see a fix soon from Apple.

Yes, very surprising indeed. They don’t exclude the iPad Pro 2018 from supported devices on their website.

" What happens if I connect my Android or iOS device to an external DAC?

If you connect an MQA-enabled DAC, like the AudioQuest DragonFly (containing the MQA renderer), you will get the authentication light and the optimal audio quality.

Is TIDAL Masters also supported on other Apple devices eg iPod Touch and iPad?

Yes it’s supported on iPad and iPod Touch devices which run iOS 11 or later."

FWIW I submitted a ticket to TIDAL and they responded that they will indeed pursue the issue…

1 Like

I received an answer from Tidal support in which they confirm what I already know: That Masters/MQA doesn’t work on iPad with USB-C connector in combination with a supported DAC like the AudioQuest DF, only on those equipped with lightning connector.
Their advice’s to reach out to Apple for a workaround, but I suspect that’s a dead-end.

All,
Sorry late to the game. If you can give specific details on the USB-C problem with the new iPad Pro I can put these on Apple Radar and get the problem resolved.
I need details on the dac, transport software things you tried. More detail the better. I can get this fixed pretty quickly.
Thanks,
Gordon

1 Like

@Gordon_Rankin Pretty much any dac via Usb-c to Usb-a adapter that I have tried only ever get recognized as a headphone. Powered or usb powered seems to make no difference

Oppo ha-1
Oppo ha-2
Khadas tone board

To name a few I have tried

Yes we know about the incorrect naming of the port.

Can people give me an indication in depth about the audio streaming problems out the USB-C port. More detail better, like USB-C to USB-A female adapter, powered, battery, cable length type. Software etc…

In the case of MQA, do note the IOS Tidal stuff is just out. The amount of testing required on this platform is large and we are working on fixing these.
Thanks,
Gordon

@Gordon_Rankin are you associated with Tidal or perhaps Apple?

So this is very easy to reproduce. Just take any iOS app that will do the MQA first software decoding, e.g. Tidal or Roon. Then hook up to the iPad Pro’s USB-C port any dongle (USB-C>USB). I’ve tried AudioQuest’s DragonTail. To the dongle, connect any USB DAC that will do the final rendering of the MQA stream. I used an Audioquest DragonFly Red aswell as a Meridian Explorer 2. Make sure the iOS app of choice are set up to stream MQA, i.e. in Tidal app, choose “Masters” as streaming quality. In Roon, “enable MQA core decoding”. Also in Roon set the appropriate “MQA capabilities”, for AQ Dragonfly “renderer only”, for Meridian Explorer 2 “Decoder and renderer”.

Then just play an MQA track and you’ll see that you won’t get the purple (DragonFly) or the blue (Explorer 2) light, and the sound will be crackling.

For DSD I think the same problem applies to any DSD capable USB DAC set up properly, like the Chord Mojo for example.

As stated before, on an iOS device with the Lightning connector all this works flawless.

1 Like