Galaxy Tab A now an unsupported device?

I have a Tab A that’s worked fine for a Roon Remote. With this last upgrade it now says it’s an unsupported device. What’s the problem and can it be rectified? Tab A is listed as a supported device in the FAQ list.

If your device is a Galaxy Tab A (2016, 7.0”, Wi-Fi) SM-T280 with an ARM Mali-400 MP2 GPU that only supports OpenGL ES 2.0, then yes. Please see also:

Well wonderful. Leave it to me to have the one that won’t work. May I assume currently available Tab A devices will work OK?

Devices that meet the requirements should be able to run Roon.

FAQ: What Android devices can I use Roon with?

Roon can run on many Android devices that meet the following requirements:

ARM or x86 based
Android 5.0 or higher
Supports OpenGL ES 3.0

The SM-T280 is the only device out of the range of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab A series that’s not supporting OpenGL ES 3.0 as far as i could dig up this information from internet sources.

You should definitely check if a given device’s specification meets the current requirements if you are looking for a replacement.

Hi,
i wanted to update my son’s phone, a samsung galaxy s3, and found out that the roon remote isn’t working because it cannot update (opengl 3.0?).

Please make it possible to use the old app on old devices.

LoKran

Since Roon Labs increased the software OS requirements for Android devices from Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) to Android 5 (Lollipop), you have another (techy) option. You can root your device and install a custom ROM. I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 [SM-T320], which more than meets the hardware requirements, but only runs Android 4.4.4. I installed a custom ROM based on Android 7.1.2 and Roon Remote works just fine.

I know it’s not an elegant solution, but it’s better than nothing.

Yours,

Byrdman

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I assumed I could install another OS version, root it or do other things to mutilate it into submission, but it wasn’t worth the effort. Still not happy with Roon over this situation though… But they have my $500 so what can I do.

2 Likes

If you are in the market for a new Android tablet, I have used several. The iPad Air, Nexus 7 (2013), LG G Pad 8.3, Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, S3, S4 and S6.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 is the best tablet I’ve ever used. It is also the FASTEST Roon remote I’ve ever used! Super snappy. It is a power users tablet designed as the Android alternative to the original Apple iPad Pro.

If you want to learn how to root & ROM your existing aging tablet, this is a good place to start:

Yours,

Byrdman

2 Likes