Gapless playback issues on Sonos with Roon [Update Sonos Firmware]

This would frustrate the heck out of me. I don’t have Sonas nor Qobuz.

Fidelity is one of the things I adore about Roon, but Gapless is just as important to me.

–MD

I do wish Roon @support was gapless, too - no response from @noris or anyone else since 31 Jan.

Hello @Highfi ,

We are still investigating this issue, though I can’t provide any timelines on the ticket. It’s also worth noting that Sonos devices can communicate over WiFi, SonosNet, or Ethernet, it would be interesting to see if there is any pattern to the connection type when the gaps occur.

Can you please let me know the exact local time +date + track when you next experience the issue and which Sonos zone you were playing to? I can enable logging for your core and attach any relevant traces to the investigation ticket.

1 Like

Hi @noris & @Highfi

I also have had non-gapless playback with Qobuz on my Sonos devices through Roon via Ethernet and also SonosNet. With Airplay it is gapless.

With Tidal it is gapless via the same methods above.

Example album - The Orb U.F. Orb from 1992

I’ve moved back to Tidal as gapless is important to me.

This has only started for me since Sonos 15.2 update :roll_eyes:

I also have the problem:

AirPlay & Sonos (15.3) work gapless

When I use Roon, I always have a pause between tracks.

I use Qobuz and the latest version of Roon (2.0 1259)

Right now listening to this Arctic Monkeys album (local, not the Qobuz version) with a Sonos One SL using Sonos Streaming with Roon, I have some tracks tracks which play gapless and some where Roon has to buffer data and I get a short gap.

It’s always different with every release, so currently it’s “not consistently gapless” again.

I’m not familiar with Roon’s technology, but isn’t it possible to just make the buffer a little larger so that the next title is already in the buffer, thus avoiding the pause?

1 Like

5.5.2023 18:16 CET

Be Hard on yourself ii: Lust For luxury > iii: You can learn

Qobuz FLAC 96khz/24Bit

This happens with every chapter title.

With my Example album - The Orb U.F. Orb from 1992 from Qobuz

I now get gapless playback. I’ll test a few others to be sure. :crossed_fingers:

Hi All,

Thanks for the additional reports here. I spoke to the developers regarding this issue recently and we have looked over diagnostics from the affected users, but it is not entirely clear what the root cause of this issue is yet.

For those still impacted, can you please list the exact local time + date + track playing when you experience the issue? We would like to try to pinpoint the exact location of the failure, so a few more of examples of when/where the failure occurs may help us uncover a pattern. Thanks!

There have been no new reports of this issue since Sonos released firmware 15.3. I am marking this issue as solved, but if you are still seeing this issue, please let us know and we can take another look, thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Gaps in playback to Sonos zones

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.