Gapless problems with Air - A Trip To The Moon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Antipodes EX (Linux / Firmware 2.7 / Roon 1.8 build 783) with mounted SSD (for music files)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network communication running over Fritzbox 7590 (WLAN) + D-Link Switch (LAN)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

External DAC connected via USB

Description Of Issue

Bought the digital album Air - A Trip To The Moon via Qobuz as high res file (flac download) and copied the album to the SSD harddrive on my Roon core.

There are some tracks on that album that should be played gapless,
Playing via Roon there is a break between that files.

Double checked if the album is corrupted by playing it on Computer with foobar. There are no problems with gapless playback, so the files seem to be ok.

Playing other gapless albums do not cause that problem with my Roon core.

So what’s the problem?
Best regards
René

Hi @Rene_Fleichaus and welcome to the forum. Might it be possible to list the track number changes you believe should be hapless please? Am willing to have a listen and see if I can reproduce the issue at least.

Best,
Carl

I assume the Zone you are using is the External DAC? What DAC is this please?

Can you also try playing the album to a different Zone, and check if that also has the same issue?

Hi and thank you for your replies :slight_smile:

The tracks that should play gapless are 3 to 4 and 10 to 11.

My Roon zone is the Antipodes EX streamer, not the DAC (Merason DAC1). The only available alternative zone is my iPad pro (Roon remote software).

I will check if the gapless playback will run on iPad…

Best regards
René

1 Like

Hi
2 on 3 was a mistake…it is 3 on 4.
I checkehd the gapless playback on iPad…no problems. This is really strange.
Basicly there is no problem with gapless playback on Antipodes EX.
The Air album was the first time I noticed.

Best regards
René

Can’t even find that album on Qobuz :astonished:

La voyage dans la lune on Qobuz. I can confirm gapless doesn’t work on my Chromecast although this appears to be another long running fault:

I will try on other endpoints next…

Yes, there is an issue with gapless on Chromecast.

Meanwhile, I’ve downloaded the Hi-Res version of this album from Qobuz, and it plays gapless here on my system and Zones (apart from the Chromecast Zone).

1 Like

I’ve now tried a selection of endpoints, including a Chord Poly and a couple of Pi flavours. I can confirm @Geoff_Coupe’s finding that gapless playback was fine on everything except 2x Chromecasts.

So the ChromeCast issue is not fixed? From Roon 1.8 (Build 778) is Live!:

Bug Fixes

This release also includes fixes for a number of bugs we’ve heard about from the Community, including issues with gapless playback on Chromecast and mounting of drives that use the ZFS filesystem.

• Chromecast

• Fixed gapless playback for Chromecast
    • Improved buffering on slow networks.

Not according to my ears and a copy of The Final Cut. It’s essentially two long tracks and has ticking clocks across the track 2-3 boundary. If it misses a beat it’s obvious…

In fact it’s more subtle than that. Left to play by itself, it mostly manages the gapless thing. If you’re scrubbing things get shakier. Even a minutes run up to the gap after a scrub isn’t enough to guarantee a smooth transition.

I’m pretty forgiving here as Roon’s one of the few (only?) gapless CC implementations I’m aware of.

Edit I’m also pretty sure that the lead in tracks on the air album were short ones now I think.

I forgot about that - and as I result I assumed that it would not play correctly on my Chromecast. This may well be an error on my part.

1 Like