Gapless - Tidal vs Qobuz

Having previously subscribed to Tidal, I’m experimenting with Qobuz. One thing I’ve noticed is that, with Dark Side Of The Moon, there is a very small, but noticeable gap when moving from track 1 (Speak To Me) to track 2 (Breathe) when playing the Tidal version. However, the two tracks flow seamlessly when playing the Qobuz version. So, is there a difference in the treatment of gapless between Tidal and Qobuz?

What is your Tidal subscription? Note that apparently gapless works only with Tidal Hifi, not Premium.

If that’s not your issue:

There has been a known issue for some people with Qobuz gapless. Most of this has been fixed in the latest earlyrelease testing version, but apparently not everything. It’s a bit weird maybe that you are experiencing it with Tidal and not with Qobuz but, who knows, might be related: The whole thing is in discussion here:

And I moved your thread from Uncategorized to TIDAL

2 Likes

Thanks. I have Tidal Hifi but, based on an admittedly small sample, the gapless issue affects Tidal and not Qobuz. I shall need to do some more testing.

Are your settings for Tidal in Roon correct, i.e. using Master or Hifi lossless and not limited to lossy?

I also have Tidal and Qobuz. In Tidal the only DSOTM version in my region is the 24/96 MQA (2011 Remaster) and I don’t hear a gap between tracks 1 and 2. In Qobuz I only have the 16/44.1 (24/96 not available in Germany and the new 2023 remaster is not fully published yet) and also no gaps. On the Qobuz thread it was reported that some people also don’t have a gap in the 16 bit version of Qobuz but do have one in the 24/96 that is available for them

Are you sure that DSOTM 96kHz/24bit is not available in Germany at Qobuz?
It is in Belgium, and there is even a purchase promo right now.

I’ve posted about the gapless issue in the Qobuz thread linked above.
I got tired of waiting for a fix from Roon so I subscribed to Tidal.
The gap problem exists in Tidal too :disappointed:

Quick recap: This is a recent development.
I’ve had Tidal in the past and it was gapless.
Qobuz was gapless until about mid December.
All my endpoints support gapless playback.
Gapless still works with DLNA, the Tidal and Qobuz apps, and with local files in Roon.
It’s very random for me. It happens with both 16/44 and higher res. And not always. The same album will play gapless sometimes and not other times.

Edit to add: There are also albums that should be gapless that never are.

1 Like

Try a search at qobue webpage/app.
Roon search is not always to the point

It’s not available in Roon and that’s all I am interested in, in particular in the context of the gapless issue that occurs in Roon. Playing that album in Qobuz would not tell us anything about that. (I don’t hear a gap with the 16/44 version, but other people do not either, but they do in Roon with the 24/96. So that’s why I was interested in this version within Roon)

(And I am only interested in this album because of the gapless issue, in the interest of comparing results. I have heard it often enough and there is enough new interesting music that isn’t pretentious as hell)

1 Like

Thought, my setup was immune to all these strange problems people keep reporting all the time, but …

… to add one more data point, I recently had short pauses, like a tenth of a second, rather than gapless playback from Qobuz while streaming to three grouped RAAT endpoints.

Fixed it by simply ungrouping, then regrouping them - issue hasn’t occurred since…

1 Like

Thanks. My Tidal setting was ‘High’ so I’ve changed it to ‘Master’. I’ll check out the results.

Also noticed lately in my setup that gapless is no longer functional with Tidal (Tidal Hifi subscription, Streaming Quality = Master in Roon settings).

Since I only use streaming services for discovery, it’s not a big deal for me and therefore haven’t really investigated the topic in detail. Take it just as a general observation.

I think High should be sufficient, but doesn’t hurt to try with Master

Based on what Jeff wrote above, the known issue might also affect Tidal and not just Qobuz:

So let’s hope that the fix that is in testing for Qobuz also fixes it for Tidal

1 Like