Garbled text on Sonytablet

Just hoping this will put an end to the garbled text too

it won’t… that changes the audio stack stuff, not the graphics work. The above explanation of running out of video memory is the cause here.

That implies that Android devices for the forseeable future will not be able to function without the problems documented in this and other threads.

So there’s nothing I can do about it, I can’t buy a tablet with significantly better specs. I can’t adjust settings.

And there’s nothing Roon can or will do about it. Am I right?

If I’m right, I find this hard to swallow. And I’m not convinced, as I wrote before. Frankly, I’m disappointed.

There is a big setting you can tweak… the memory for artwork in settings -> setup

Thanks @Danny.

On a side note: I don’t want to sound cranky, but this advice is late in coming.

I will look into those settings, haven’t found them yet.

However, I’m curious to know why it is that only the Roon Remote app suffers from this behaviour. Can you explain that?

Thanks.

Because Roon is built on a unified OpenGL based graphics engine. It is what allows us to maintain identical functionality in all regards between android-tablet/ipad/desktop.

If we didnt do this, the android tablet app most likely would not exist.

Thanks @Danny. So OpenGL has it’s drawbacks, it needs bags of memory, and therefore RoonRemote on Android has it’s flaws, but they can’t be avoided on the developers side, so it’ll have to do.

I would have liked to know that before I spent my money on a Pixel C.

Can’t find any settings to tweak, though. Something like a setup where I can change the memory settings for artwork doesn’t seem to exist on either my Pixel C or my Oneplus One. Could you give some pointers?

Thanks

My pixel C has the setting. I put it to 256 and I have not seen missing text, so far.

PS it was on 64…YMMV and all that.

@bearFNF
Hey Bob, thanks. I must be blind then :wink:. Where to look? My Pixel C runs Android 8.1

Mine looks like what Rene posted. Under Settings/Setup. Look for “Memory for Photos/Artwork”. I will screen shot it when I get home if you still need it.

I’ll have another try later today, thanks! Must indeed have been blind…

Well, I was looking for settings of my Pixel C, not within Roon …:grimacing: … on the wrong track. Thanks for your help, Rene and Bob.

Memory for artwork is up to 1024 MB. Characters keep disappearing, I’m sorry to report…

Mine started acting up again, also. Clearing cache seems to help for a short time.

@Danny, other things we can do?

This is clearly not mended by more artwork memory alone…

Will this ever be fixed? Is this is what I paid $500 for? I’m on a pixel c running Android 8.1.

I curious too. Apparently it’s not a priority, but if there’s no fix in the works I would be disappointed, to say the least.

Since build 339 I see less problems - could it be that the fixed UI memory leak was (part of) the cure?

… characters still disappear but less frequent, it seems.