Genre labels not showing up for albums or artists

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

The genre labels that typically appear with albums and artists have disappeared. Yesterday they were they, today they’re not. Anyone know how to get them back? If there’s a toggle to turn the labels on and off, I haven’t found it. If it’s relevant, I have not installed the most recent update.

–Kevin

Are you using Roon in an “all-in-one” setup with the Core, Control and Ouput components all on one PC or Mac, or are you using other remote devices as well?

Please give details of your Core machine, and the build numbers of the Core, and any remote devices that you may be using.

What is the version that you have installed? Because there was a previous one where exactly this happened and this was later fixed in the February 28 update:

I’m running 2.0.1234

OK that’s a weird one then because this should be resolved in this case and it was for many people (who had previously reported the issue). Maybe still some issue lingering

And what are you running this build on?

Just to confirm, you are not seeing any of the genre labels on an album or artist page; so for example, here, all these labels would be missing on your display:

Apologies for not including system info, I thought (hoped?) it would be simple settings solution. Yes, no genre listings for artist or album as shown in the image above.

Setup:
Core resident on Nucleus+ 192.168.1.99
Network Orbi CBR750 communicating over both WiFi and Ethernet
Added internal HDD and external SSD (via USB) for music storage, Denon AVR X4700H via HDMI
66K+ tracks in library

Is this occurring on local albums or streaming? All of them or some?

If it’s local albums, what’s your genre settings in Settings > Library > Import Settings and Settings > Library > Genre Mappings?

Could you post a screenshot of the album page and another of the genres as shown in the album metadata editor?

I’m having a bit of a hard time getting a mental picture of this. Thanks

The genre labels are missing from both local and streaming albums. Genres extracted from file tags and from Roon’s metadata database are both set to “Yes” in Settings. An album page looks like the screenshot from Geoff above without the line of genre labels below the album picture and “Play now” button. I’m sorry but I don’t yet know how to access the album metadata editor - I’ll work on that.

–Kevin

You’ve said that you’re running with a Core on a Nucleus, so can you say what build of the Roon Server it has (look in the Web Administration Interface for this). And what the build is of the Roon that you are using on the Remote device?

1 Like

I’d just like to check the same album as you do, unless it’s happening for all albums for you. Because for me the genres are there on the albums I looked at, but maybe I am missing something.

After scrolling down, the genres are shown and can be edited. (I blacked out another option that you don’t have to avoid confusion as I am using earlyaccess test versions)

Thanks for the excellent walkthrough for accessing the album metadata editor. Couldn’t be clearer - much appreciated. Also, sorry for not responding sooner. I sent an answer yesterday but discovered today it didn’t show up.

Here’s the metadata for Frank Zappa’s The Grand Wazoo album. The album is in our collection. Metadata for the streaming version from Quboz is identical.

The genre labels are missing from the album page in Roon.

–Kevin

Glad it helped. OK, so at least the genres are there in the editor, making this more of a display issue - which is better than genres that are lost for real.

That’s quite strange. I only have the streaming version (unedited) and I notice that the primary artist and album artist (below the album name) differ for me, as well as the release date (but your local version seems to have been identified anyway). The genres do show for me:

(I am using earlyrelease test versions (build 1246 on ROCK and macOS, Roon OS build 257) but currently it should be very similar to what has been released to production)

Please check the version you are running on the Nucleus by going to Roon > Settings > About

I was reluctant to install the most recent update when a problem appeared out of the blue independently of the arrival of the update. With no luck solving the missing genre labels problem I took a chance and installed the update and the missing genre labels reappeared. Whatever the problem was, the update took care of it.

Much thanks to everyone who helped trying to find a solution to the problem. We greatly appreciated your time and effort.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.