Genre tags on composers don't work as expected

Content you’re reporting an issue with

When editing composers, I have trouble setting the correct “genre” tags

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Yes

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local files

Screenshot of import settings

default settings

Description of the issue

Let’s take an example.

When I display my “composers” page with the tag filter “Classical” I expect to see only “classical music” composers and unfortunately, Gilbert Bécaud (and many more) not classical composers are displayed.
Hence, I try to edit composer “Gilbert Becaud”. The guy is a french “variété-style” singer. He has some tags like “Orchestral” attached under “genre” and “orchestral” is a sub-category of “Classical”, that’s why he erroneously appears under the “classical” filter on genre.

And here comes the fun :

• I remove the “orchestral” tag.
    Gilbert Becaud now has the “Classical” genre tag attached.
  • I remove the “classical” tag.
    Gilbert Becaud now has the “Orchestral” genre tag re-attached.
  • I remove the “orchestral” tag.
    Gilbert Becaud now has the “Classical” genre tag re-attached.
  • I remove the “classical” tag.
    Gilbert Becaud now has the “Orchestral” genre tag re-attached.
    etc…
    etc…

So… what am I supposed to do in order to remove Gilbert Becaud (and much more non classical composers like jazz, pop-rock blabla ones) from classical composers ?

Hi @Christophe_Brun

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We apologize for the delay in responding. I had hoped to get back to you sooner and appreciate your patience. I’m sorry to hear that you’re some issues with your Composers view in Roon.

Have you tried using the Show only classical composers filter button?

If that doesn’t help you could try adjusting your library import settings so Roon prefers your embedded genre tags rather than using the default setting.

To do this please go to Settings>Library>Import Settings>Genre Settings.

Toggle off Use genres from Roon’s metadata database
Toggle on Use genres extracted from file tags

Can you try these recommendations as see if it’s a better match for you?

So edit the composer and set “Is classical composer” to No.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

And… yes, if I click on the “Only classical composers” link, the composers list is better by far - although there are still non classical composers in this list and, unsurprisingly, some “classical” composers - mainly contemporary ones - not in the list.

So, as for displaying a consistent list of classical composers, it does the job.

But still, this is only a workaround and half of the describes problem, as far as I can tell, since the “genre” editing remains broken in several cases.