German genre translations?

Thanks for the feedback here @Olaf_Mueller. Our goal here is not to translate every genre without any context or input from German speakers – ideally the only genres we would be translating would be those users would expect to see in German (or Japanese, or Russian, etc).

Translators in other languages have done a pass on these genres and in many cases they’ve changed a number of genres back to English, which is perfect! This delivers a more native experience to users around the world without translating any genres unnecessarily.

Unfortunately it sounds like we haven’t seen similar effort from German translators yet. But the good news is that it’s not too late!

Improving Genre Translations

If you’re willing to help out, I’m guessing it will take 15 minutes or less to update the examples in your post back to the original English, or to improved German translations.

I will send you an invite now. @Kopftelefon @Suedkiez or anyone else who wants to help improve genre translations can sign up here.

We really do appreciate this feedback. We’re confident that translations will continue to improve over time but it would be great to have some help getting these right before these changes go live for users around the world!

The “Localized Genre Names” switch

As for the switch on the album editing screen that @Suedkiez was asking about, I can see thats confusing people, so let me clarify.

Genres are complicated in Roon because they can come from your files or edits (which cannot be translated by our systems) or from Roon metadata (which can translated depending on what translators have entered into the system).

Since these two kinds of data can be interleaved in a single collection (or even a single album) it’s important that a user who is editing genres is able to clearly see which genres are translated and which are being displayed “as is” from file tags. This switch allows transparency during editing options, but it’s not supposed to turn translations on or off once you’re done editing.

Any more questions, please let me know -- I will check back on this thread a bit later. Thanks all!
3 Likes