Getting Error "unexpected error communicating w/ audio device" - Roon working w/ Tidal on a Mac

Roon Core Machine

2020 iMac, MacOS 13.2.1, 6-core, 32gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

USB out of the Mac, to audio device.

Connected Audio Devices

Gato 4000n integrated amp.

Number of Tracks in Library

~80k

Description of Issue

Roon has been working for over a year now, and this error just began. I keep the MacOS, Roon and Tidal all up-to-date. So all versions should be the latest releases.

Hi! Did you try rebooting the Mac and the amp?

And on top of that try another USB cable.

1. Do you have same problem when used as osx system output?

2. You can try a Roon bridge device to see if the problem goes away.

3. Or try to kill core audio
    Strange Audio Issues w/ Ventura [Roon Investigating; Known Apple Issues w/ Ventura System Audio] - #20 by connor

4. Or try to reset RAAT server
    Strange Audio Issues w/ Ventura [Roon Investigating; Known Apple Issues w/ Ventura System Audio] - #37 by connor

sorry as I do not find the 4000n on google (is it 400s or 400sn?). Or in 4000N, “N” stands for network?

1 Like

Rebooted EVERYTHING… modem, router, iMac, Amp

Hi @Mark_Pecoraro,

Do you encounter any errors playing to the system output of the iMac? Recent logs show playback errors on networked endpoints, suggesting there might be a more widespread issue with the output path.

We recommend first refreshing RAATServer on this Core to stabilize conditions:
You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

@connor , I followed your instructions, but the problem still exists. In fact, it is now much worse. I can’t get anything to play. I don’t have any other audio issues on my iMac, using the system output or an external USB to integrated amp. All apps/web sites have expected output without issue. Not sure what to do from here. I can use Tidal directly without any problems.

Hi @Mark_Pecoraro,

We’re very sorry for the delayed response. Can you please submit a screenshot of your Device Setup page for this USB device by navigating to Roon → Settings → Audio and clicking on the gear icon? Please expand the menu to “show advanced.”

We’re also curious about any Zone Groups you might have created. Diagnostics indicate two-channel content is reaching your Zone as multichannel - there’s a potential channel assignment issue here.

Also, do you have any DSP engaged for the Gato?

Hi @Mark_Pecoraro,

I wanted to check in on this issue before it auto-closed. Did you see my previous comment above?

Connor, THANK YOU for the follow up. Here are the screen shots that you requested. Might I try getting rid of ALL endpoints and starting over? I only have 2: my iMac feeds the USB into the Gato, and 2) my Cambridge 851 in my living area?

Please advise. I love love love Roon when it is working. I have to figure this out… it is really getting anoying…mark

I would break up the group, and try playing to each zone individually first and then simultaneously but not grouped.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Mark_Pecoraro,

How’s it going? Did you try to isolate the Zones as our moderators suggested? We’re here to support if this issue is recurring.