Wow. Not sure what happened, as a lot of stuff changed in the last 3 weeks or so, but it’s made listening to high res audio impossible, whereas prior it was fine:
First, my setup:
Mac Mini running Roon Server 1.2 build 161
macOS Sierra 10.12
Trying to play to:
Mac Pro running Roon version 1.2 build 161
OS X 10.10.5
B&W MM1 USB speakers
- I go into my library, and attempt to play a 24/192 FLAC file (any in my collection, really), and the audio starts making a very loud clicking noise while playing. The noise is so loud, it’s potentially damaging to my speakers. the clicking starts often before the audio plays (but after I hit play).
- The clicking is pretty rapid as well. Probably 4-6Hz. It’s not a click between songs, but like a machine gun of constant clicking during playback.
- I hit stop, and the audio stops, but the clicking continues for several seconds before it stops.
- Sometimes it plays, then tells me to select an audio zone… as if my end-point (mac pro, aka my desktop computer) went offline (which it obviously didn’t).
- This makes it impossible to listen to a large portion of my audio collection via Roon.
- This doesn’t seem to happen with 16/44.1 audio as much, but audio quality is still compromised (pops, micro dropouts)
- I recently upgraded from OSX 10.11.x on the Mac Mini after macOS Sierra SMB problems were fixed in Roon
- Roon got 2 updates recently, but I don’t believe I listened to anything between the two updates, so I can’t isolate one over another to be the problem (if either are)
- Other apps can play these files just fine, and at full-resolution (Vox) over the network.
- I manually went into the Audio MIDI Setup utility and made sure it was set to 24/192 (although that shouldn’t matter, as RAAT should be handling all that, right?). (I Manually changed it to 16/48, then changed it back to 24/192, just to potentially overwrite a corrupt setting). This had no effect.
Any ideas? I realise there are a lot of variables here, but 3 weeks ago, it all worked perfectly, and now it’s pretty busted. Is there a log I can provide someone with?
I reverted my Sierra install disk to 10.11.x (always make a backup, folks!) which also had the old Roon Server on it. My Mac Pro still had the latest build of Roon on it though, and playback still had the horrible clicking problem.
However, playing to my pre/pro Anthem AVM 60 from the (reverted) Mac mini plays without clicking issues (I get the violet dot). This setup is: Mini (reverted) Roon Server, controlled by current version Roon on the Mac Pro, output to my Anthem AVM60/ B&W 803Ds. Switching to output the same song on the B&W MM-1 still results in horrible clicking.
So, in short:
Old Roon Server output to Anthem == Good
Old and new Roon Server output to Mac Pro’s USB B&W MM-1s == Bad
I even tried unplugging the USB cable from the MM-1s to see if that’d fix it, but it didn’t.
This video shows/has audio of the issue. Note that the automatic gain control kicked in, and the audio in the video is far softer than in reality.
if the video isn’t playing, go here: www.dropbox.com/s/hnxi34f78wjqe8p/Video%20Oct%2012%2C%2010%2049%2055%20PM.mov?dl=0
Thanks in advance.