Getting HQPlayer to Output to DAC

Well this is the problem here.

If the system layout was mentioned earlier we could have spotted this and saved you a lot of time :grinning:.

HQPlayer can play over the network but only to “NAA” endpoints.

Kind of like Roon playing to Roon Ready/Roon Bridge endpoints over the network.

Roon can see your Bridge II because the Bridge II network card supports Roon Ready. It does not support HQPlayer’s NAA protocol.

If you had a Raspberry Pi4 you could use that as HQPlayer endpoint (NAA).

So HQPlayer can play over the network but not directly to your Bridge II card.

Hope that makes sense? If not, just check what the Bridge II supports and you will not see HQPlayer NAA mentioned… it supports Roon, UPnP, Spotify Connect etc.

I assume your Roon Core and Bridge II DAC are not in the same room?

Apologies if I’ve guessed your system layout wrong here. Just trying to help

No, the host computer is in my study and the Bridge II is in the living room. Have any ideas as to what I can do to make it work?

Raspberry Pi4 with my NAA OS image connected to network, and to your DAC via USB.

Or alternatively something more fancy… (there are some NAA hardware options listed on my web page)

1 Like

Since I am already worried about sonic degradation from the USB connection vis Ă  vis my current Ethernet Bridge II, if I got an NAA device, I would want no sonic degradation from it. What would be my least expensive option? Now the deal breaker? Since my Core PC device is 50 feet from my audio system, I assume I could not connect with USB from the Core to the NAA device. 16 feet the limit on USB? And the cost of the electrician to go under the house and replace the ethernet cable with a super expensive USB cable (?).
Just trying to see if I have any options other than moving my Core setup to the living room (not going to happen).
Thanks for all your attention! I assume there is a technical reason why you couldn’t make an ethernet friendly version of HQP (HQP.E?).

Jussi’s proposed solution is

HQPlayer PC > ethernet > Raspberry Pi running NAA image > USB > PS Audio

No need to run a long USB cable, just a 2nd ethernet cable.

1 Like

If there’s already Ethernet cable, it can be shared to multiple devices using an inexpensive unmanaged switch (for about 50€ you get a good one). HPE OfficeConnect 1420 8G:

RasPi4 is least expensive. And of purpose built NAA devices, iFi ZEN Stream is among the least expensive.

I appreciate this thread.
I had been struggling figuring out output.
I now have HQPlayer working with a Topping D50s. All driven remotely via Roon.

Anyone have a handy chart for all the filters and what they do?
Also. How do I reset to “factory” new after I fail to read and mess up my audio playback entirely?

Thank you.

1 Like

There’s a one in the included PDF manual.

In the Help-menu there’s an option to clear data. This will delete settings and on next start settings are reset back to default. At least at the moment, this doesn’t touch library data.

2 Likes

Is there a place to go online to download the HQPlayer User Manual referenced in the screenshot:

Thanks!!!

No, it is included in HQPlayer installation package and typically installed together with HQPlayer.

On HQPlayer Desktop, you can find it from HQPlayer Start-menu group on Windows and Linux. And on macOS it is straight on the DMG package and you can just drag and drop it to the desktop or somewhere else.

On HQPlayer Embedded, equivalent documentation is included as Help pages you can find from top right corner of the page in question.

Thank you for the information!

Another question: Is there a file to download/burn to microSD card that will allow a Raspberry Pi4 to work as a NAA for HQPlayer Desktop to recognize? I purchased HQPlayer Desktop license already… I don’t want to have to purchase an iFi Stream if I can get my Pi4 to work as a NAA. Is this a separate license! (Embedded???) Thank you for the awesome feedback!!!

You can download it from
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/
https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-430-raspberrypi4.7z
Just burn it on a microSD and boot your rpi4
No license needed

Much thanks to you! I must say that this community is awesome and extremely helpful… Specially for the newer members. I will endeavor to give back once I can do so… Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

I downloaded and flashed the referenced file above with Balena Etcher and upon booting the Pi4 it keeps cycling and getting this screen:

Upon flashing the file in Balena Etcher it showed a message that the file did not contain a file catalog and would not boot if I continued…

Please help… I just want to get my Pi4 NAA working!!!

Here is the message from Balena Etcher:

Maybe a dumb question, but did you unzip the file w/ 7Zip? If so, this is what you should see and flash to your flash card for the Pi:

As other said … you must unzip the file then burn it with Balena

Success with the unzip and flash to the microSD card… Do I now simply connect the Pi4 powered up to the NUC that contains my HQPlayer Desktop software and Roon Core? My music library is connect to this NUC (named “MINIPC”) via an 8TB external USB HDD. Do I need to connect the Pi4 to the network via a Cat 5/6 Ethernet cable or via WiFi somehow? Is there a place to get truly step by step instructions/directions on how to set up the NAA in a Pi4 and actually get it up and running both stand alone and via Roon… I have been using Roon on 3 separate systems in our home via Wiim Mini streamers but getting my Pi4 up and running and even using HQPlayer AT ALL has eluded me so far. I have successfully burned the HQPlayer NAA image onto the microSD card and powered it up. That’s as far as I have progressed… I don’t know what to “exactly “ do next… and then next after that… Can anyone see where I’m at in my journey? Thanks for any assistance!!!

Through CAT 5e or CAT6 U/UTP to your existing network.

1. Power up your DAC and check that USB input is selected
  2. Power up the NAA, wait some ~30 seconds so that it is up
  3. Start HQPlayer - now your should be able to see your DAC under the NAA when you select “Network Audio Adapter IPv6” backend. If that doesn’t work you can revert to “Network Audio Adapter” backend (IPv4).
1 Like

I had not unzipped the .7s file prior… I now have unzipped it and flashed it to my microSD card successfully! It did boot properly, I believe, but I need a true step by step set of directions on what to do next…exactly what to do next… I posted another inquiry last night asking a lot of the questions that I don’t have answers too like do I need to only connect the Pi4 to my NUC containing HQPlayer and Roon. Does the Pi4 also need a hard wired connection to my network! (Possibly a WiFi connection if possible?) My NUC has HQPlayer Desktop and Roon installed and my music in on a USB external hard drive connected to the NUC. I have been unable to use HQPlayer and actually hear sound… My DAC now could be Schiit Magni or a Magnius… As I have an iFi ZEN DAC V2 coming early next week…Any help with the step by step immediately after powering up the Pi4 with NAA on it would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers…