Glam-Metal: Roon Listeners' Playlists

We recently discussed the transformative effect that seven landmark albums, released in the late summer of 1991, exerted on '90s Rock in our Roon blog article entitled 44 Days in '91. If you were a member of Hair Nation who was sad to see Metal bands go, we want to hear your side of the story. :metal:

Submit your favorite metal songs of the mid-80s to early 90s to this thread. Weā€™ll compile the best and share a playlist of your favorites. :loud_sound:

5 Likes

Dokken - In My Dreams, The Hunter, Unchain the Night, Mr. Scary, Tooth and Nail, Itā€™s Not Love, Kiss of Death.
Queensryche - All of Operation Mindcrime, I Dream in Infrared, Silent Lucidity, Della Brown, Anybody Listening.
Ratt - Round and Round, Youā€™re In Love, Lay it Down, Dance, Body Talk, Back for More.
Dio - Last in Line, Holy Diver
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Suicide Solution, Ultimate Sin, S.A.T.O.
Skid Row, 18 and Life, Wasted Time, Youth Gone Wild.
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again, In the Still of the Night.

3 Likes

@jamie , Iā€™m just going to keep editing this post adding suitable candidates as they strike me.

Rethink on my post here.
Start with a real trashy favorite of mine.
Just love the MTV video of it.

Summertime Girls by Y&T.

A cross between power and glam metal this oneā€¦
Burning Heart by Vandenberg.

And what glam trash metal list would be complete without Poison.
Seriously choose anything off the first albumā€¦itā€™s all glam metal bubble gum pop at itā€™s finest!

Girlschool by Britny Fox.

Nobodyā€™s Fool by Cinderella.

Cum on feel the Noise and Slick Black Cadillac by Quiet Riot

One in a Million by Trixter.

Naughty Naughty by Danger Danger.

Psychedelic Sex Reaction by Babylon AD.

We Came To Rock by Brighton Rock.

4 Likes

Was playing this while coming across your post Jamie.

Classic Ratt power ballad. A favourite of mine and an excellent fit here.

3 Likes

There are so many good optionsā€¦ if only my memory wasnā€™t failing me :wink:

Some personal favourites include:
Poison - Talk Dirty to Me
Ratt - Round and Round
Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
Warrant - Down Boys
Twisted Sister - I Want to Rock
Great White - Mista Bone

3 Likes

Great suggestions so far, @Ali_Shafai, @AceRimmer , @RBO & @Simon_Smith2,

This is going to be a formidable playlist! :metal:t2:

4 Likes

No Def Leppard in this list yet? Rock of Ages, Photograph, Foolin, Rock Rock (Til You Drop), Love Bites, etc.

Adding to the Whitesnake songs, Slide it In and Slow anā€™ Easy

Some additional Twisted Sister - Weā€™re not gonna take it, Burn in Hell, and The Price

Scorpions - Rock you like a Hurricane, Still Loving You, No one like you

Judas Priest - Youā€™ve Got another thing Cominā€™, Electric Eye, Rock Hard Ride Free, Love Bites, Some Heads are Gonna Roll, etc.

Kiss - Heavenā€™s On Fire, Tears are Fallin, Lick it Up

Adding onto the Cinderella - Shake Me, Somebody Save Me, Donā€™t Know What You Got (Till Itā€™s Gone)

Motley Crue - Looks that Kill, Shout at the Devil, Too Young to Fall in Love, Knock 'Em Dead Kid, Girls Girls Girls, Wild Side, Dr. Feelgood, Kickstart My Heart, Donā€™t Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)

Faster Pussycat - Where Thereā€™s a Whip Thereā€™s a Way, House of Pain

Iron Maiden needs a post of their own.

Now the title of the thread was regarding glam-metal and then mentions hair metal and in my simple mind they are not necessarily the same thing. So if we only want what I would call glam-metal, then I need to go back and delete some stuff.

4 Likes

Not a generic fan of these times, but it would be almost criminal not to mention Van Halen here:
Why canā€™t this be love
Mine all mine

And of course David Lee Roth with his great Eat em and smile-album!

3 Likes

A lot of stuff along the lines of your post I had lined up but then thought in to definition of true glam/hair metal.
And became a bit more selective in my thoughts.

Great stuff and much food for thought for Jamie to build the playlist from.

There are just so many great late 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s hair metal/ bubblegum pop tracks that I forget the vast majority.

I guess we could/should add things likeā€¦

Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi.

The Final Countdown by Europe.

Poison by Alice Cooper.

Legs by ZZ TOP

And it goes on :grin:

4 Likes

The Scorpions, Judas Priest, Kiss, Iron Maiden are not Hair Metal bands. Just because a band adopted a ā€œlookā€ either by choice or by force from the record label, see Heart, does not make them musically a hair metal band.

@AceRimmer Alice Cooper and ZZ top are also not hair metal bands.

2 Likes

Gives a bit of latitude to songs that fit the bill even if the bands do not or were ā€œcoercedā€ to play them.

Just my humble opinion and interpretation
:innocent:

1 Like

This

Between the blog linked at the start of this thread and the quote you copied I got the vibe that he was seeking playlists that might be similar in nature to what you might have found playing on MTV back in the day despite the title of the thread. If I am mistaken and it is purely glam metal they seek, I will have significantly less to offer in terms of suggestions. I had, in fact, started out with your perspective and changed my mind as I looked those over.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot to sort through on this one because at the time when ā€œhair metalā€ reigned there were a lot of bands that had adopted the MTV fashion but maintained some musical integrity rather just ape the last power ballad from Poison or Warrant. Queensryche never abandoned their proggy instincts; the technical riffage from bands like Warrant, Winger, Ratt and Whitesnake rivaled anything Metallica did, even if they could pull ā€œchicksā€ to their shows. Bands that were on the fringe of the movement like Extreme or Badlands borrowed from classic Aerosmith and Zeppelin while adding Van Halen level solos. In my mind Guns N Roses had become a bloated parody of themselves and all of the Hollywood excess by the time Use Your Illusion had been released; and thatā€™s what I believe killed the scene. The slick saccharine production used to make metal bands palatable for MTV and radio had also defanged the giants like Kiss, Judas Priest, and Scorpions, and it left a bad aftertaste even if it had created massive sales for a few years. The Seattle bands had come in seeming a bit more earnest in their approach even when borrowing from the same influences.

Iā€™ll have to give some serious thought to what actually constitutes a ā€œhair metalā€ band as opposed to the bands that were already on the scene and had just managed to catch the wave before it washed out in '91.

3 Likes

let me add:

• Journey - Donā€™t Stop Believinā€™
  • Asia - Heat of the Moment
  • Survivor - The Search is Over
2 Likes

Hey @MagicSmoke,

Your intuition is correct. My thinking was to assemble a playlist of the stuff that would have been playing on MTV just before the release of the albums and videos mentioned in the 44 Days in '91 article. I wasnā€™t sure if we should use the sub-genre Glam-Metal or Hair-Metal. Some find Hair-Metal to be dismissive.

You guys let me know which genre name you feel best suits and I can change the thread and playlist header to fit. This is going to be a great playlist!

2 Likes

I think the genre description is as good as anyā€¦I think of this playlist as being culled from the classic MTV years.

While watching Metal Hammer you could have for example, Cinderella followed by Iron Maiden followed by Ratt followed by Europe followed by Lizzy Borden followed by Kiss followed by Queen followed by AC/DC etc etc.

With that being saidā€¦

Crazy Nights and Tears are Falling by Kiss are a perfect example of a rock band jumping on that hair metal MTV bandwagon and making a killing.

2 Likes

I remember Headbangers Ball on sundays being the weeks most important event! Do you remember the intro?
Slaughterhouse by Powermad from -89:

2 Likes

Ha - Fabulous. Hereā€™s a few choice selections :slight_smile:

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Scorpions - Canā€™t Live Without You
Def Leppard - Foolinā€™
Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
Ratt - Round and Round
Winger - Seventeen
Dokken - Alone Again
W.A.S.P - I Wanna Be Somebody
Whitesnake - Still of the Night