Going DIY + ROCK. Here is my configuration: Suggestions?

Congratulations and Excellent Job Roon Team.

Going DIY + ROCK. Here is my configuration: Suggestions ??

1) Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH

2) Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 SODIMM NUC Memory

3) Intel® SSD 600p Series (256GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC)
– Do I need more than 256GB? Is Roonlab team suspecting needing more than this?

4.1) Planning for Internal Storage than go NAS. Will it be only spinning HDD? Can I have SDD for its 2.5
4.b) Alternatively Can I go 3) above to 1TB and have both ROCK, ROON and also Music files onto it ?
4.c) Optane - This seems to be good one. However, will it be only for M.2 or 2.5" slots purposed for SSDs
4.d) Or for now i go with 1-3, start ROCK and add external HDD for now, until something comes up for bulk storage on SSD.

IMO only -> I hate Roon to pick up files from NAS for music. I feel its too slow, wear and tear etc (whatever, wired or not ETH, I simply hate NAS for audio usage - SORRY FOLKS in advance. dont beat me here :slight_smile: ) I m little frustrated now. I will still have NAS for storage only and not for LIVE streaming.

The ROCK primer thread should answer your questions.

Good!.

4.b) - Out of question. I will look for NVMe. Good suggestions. Maybe I should take this on to that thread.

Rest is good! I will stop now :).

@Andybob pointed you to a great resource. However, based on my listen of the Munich video of Danny introducing Nucleus, it sounded like when Rock is released, he intends to specify hardware. It might be no different than what andybob pointed you to. But it may be different too. IMO the smart money is not buying hardware for ROCK until it is released. Clearly that’s very soon.

3 Likes

I’ve started updating this with hardware: http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

1 Like

thanks for the hardware update. any alternative to the SSD? Amazon.com ships in 2-3 weeks, but Amazon Germany ships in “generally 1-2 months” :smiley:

i have been waiting too long for this release to make it another 2 months :frowning:

Thanks for the Amazon link. You can’t make it much easier than that.

@danny Amazon links point to US site… please add amazon.de and amazon.uk

And in the UK the same thing is £608 for the i7 one

At last! Ok I’ve got my nuc & HDD on hand - but a couple of quick questions on M.2 ssd choices:
a. 64gb size - so a 128gb is overkill? Noted that one Nucleus model comes with 128gb.
b. NVME recommended or unnecessary? Have my eye on an Intel 600p vs a WD Green - the latter will be 20% cheaper. Which would be preferable? Many thanks!

@danny does the upcoming ROCK release allows for bridged interface? That is, built-in ethernet port on the NUC and with USB ethernet adapter?

IMO NVMe is better and very fast for the price difference. I would go with NVMe.

Saw you have suggested i7, 7th gen if we use DSP / large libraries.

I was assessing i5, 6th gen. Let’s assume I will use DSP and decent size (not large) is it still recommended To go with i7,7th gen?

DSP can eat a lot of CPU, especially upsamplers. If you need to ask, get 7i7, you won’t be upset.

Also, I’ve updated the info at http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit to say it’s OK to go with the 128GB SSD or 8GB RAM if you can’t find the smaller variants. I was just trying to save you some money, but I understand that availability is going down.

2 Likes

Although I’ve not tried it, I have turned on IP forwarding so it should work fine.

2 Likes

Is a 250GB SSD ok, too?

yes, they are all ok – it just wont use the extra space, but you cant use it either.

Okay!. Sounds good now.

I may go with 250gB NVMe as the price difference between 128 to 250 is small and also who know in future i might re-purpose the NUC to some other device and then the NUC might be used for home windows application or home media server whatever :slight_smile: which will need heavier OS like MS.

Gotcha, I bought a bigger one a year ago when I built my NUC not knowing how much library space would be needed. Looks like the i5 and everything I have will work just fine.

BTW, what’s the best method for copying music to an internal HD with ROCK? Is there a method to copy from within Roon/ROCK? Wondering about using a lot of network resources to do it from mounted shares.

use the network share over ethernet and itll be done quickly