Going DIY + ROCK. Here is my configuration: Suggestions?

Just got these add to cart links set up and added to the KB article:

NUC7i3BNH + 4GB RAM + 64GB M.2 SSD

Amazon (US)
Amazon (UK)
Amazon (DE)

NUC7i7BNH + 8GB RAM + 64GB M.2 SSD

Amazon (US)
Amazon (UK)
Amazon (DE)

Note that unfortunately 64GB SSDs seem to have a bit of lead time worldwide, in which case you can opt for this 128GB version:

ZTC Armor 128GB (US)
ZTC Armor 128GB (UK)
ZTC Armor 128GB (DE)

3 Likes

Here is my shopping list after reading many threads and posts. I will have all must stuff by July 1st week before I install ROCK.

1. IntelĀ® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH -OR- NUC7i5BNH
  2. Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 SODIMM NUC Memory
  3. IntelĀ® SSD 600p Series (256GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC)
  4. Storage - I will go with Internal 2.5" Seagate SSHD 2TB (the one on Amazon)

Why no NVME? Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB is faster.

Shopping cart yet to be created.
However Intel SSD 600p Series, 256GB, M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 ā€¦ is NVMe.

The Intel 600 has a other technology with cache.

This makes the choice between the 600p and the 960 EVO quite simple. Choose the first to get a drive faster than a sata disk, but hardly anymore. For daily activities, the 600p is more than fast enough, but keep in mind that all data must be cached. If you drive this drive well, you may experience some dips in performance.

The EVO will buy you if you want a seriously fast nvme drive without spending the money normally. As far as performance is concerned, the EVO is significantly faster than the 600p and is close to the 960 Pro. However, the latter remains the drive you need to choose if you want the fastest of this moment.

Translated with Google Translate from Tweakers.net review

1 Like

My choice of M.2, despite not being NVMe, was that a reliable work horse known to be robust was more important than out and out speed (which can also mean more heat). You donā€™t need a Ferrari for the daily commute to work, as nice a proposition as that might be.

3 Likes

For the German i3, i would use a German supplier, e.g.

it is the same product, right? it costs almosst ā‚¬100 lessā€¦

Hi all,
I was just wondering if I can use the NUC7i3bnh with 2x Crucial 4Gb DDR4 2133 and the sata SSD that I already use with my QNAP NAS (Sandisk MLC 120 Gb).
I donā€™t do DSP and Iā€™m below the 12k albuns thanks to Tidal. This will set me with Rock at around 360 Euro.
Any thoughts?
Also Iā€™ve been wondering if there is any project for using a similar Linux spinoff to use as Roon Bridge instead of as server.

When we talk about album count, or library size, we include TIDAL starred albums/tracks in that list.

That will be fine for even 20k+ albums I bet. You have way more RAM and SSD than is needed for 12k albums. Obviously things will be a bit faster with the i7, but the i3 will still be great.

1 Like

Ropieee or DietPi, and Volumio is on the wayā€¦

1 Like

I use all 3 but Volumio has some more steps to install and the volume if you use it on a hat has some issues - where if itā€™s set other than 100% it gets capped at whatever the last variable was set for. Also you can only play to one audio interface at a timeā€¦if AirPlay is in use under Volumio then roon bridge is not able to play, etc etc

Also one can change the volume in say Volumio and it affects roon bridge volumeā€¦not a show stopper but needs some consideration.

After patiently waiting (out of my home town) I finally could order the list of items. Myself and all of the below items may reach home almost at the same time beginning of next week :slight_smile: . (sounds funny)

1. IntelĀ® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH
  2. Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 SODIMM NUC Memory
  3. Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
  4. Storage - Kept it simple. Toshiba external USB HDD.

Next on my mind is, my super (kidding) knowledge of computer setup skills will be tested.
Key Links for me is Rock Getting Started ==> Definitive Guide and some honest posts I could read.

Hi @Jnan_Roon. Donā€™t forget Roonā€™s own very helpful guidance at: https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started which also contains very useful information :grinning:.

Of Course :slight_smile: . I have edited my post to show it clearly.

Oddly the trickiest bit on the NUC is removing the bottom plate ā€¦ I didnā€™t have to this in my build as my pc shop was more curious than me and beat me to it but I did open it up the other day and once the 4 screws are undone then you need to pull out the base plateā€¦there are some threaded holes in the base and some screws in a bag that you can use in the holes to give you something to lift it up with.

To be honest I havenā€™t read the instructions but if thatā€™s not going to work when re check it in a bit Iā€™ll edit this post.

1 Like

Quick question i see stickers on the EVO SSD 256GB and Memory Sticks (4x2) should i remove them or its harmless to let them be?

Iā€™ve never removed stickers from hardware. Iā€™d only do so if they covered the terminals.

2 Likes

Customs Customs Customs ā€¦ My NUC is stuck in Customs ā€¦ whatever ā€¦ :expressionless: !

NUC7i7BNH finally arrived yesterday late evening :slight_smile: . Easy stuffs like M.2 and RAM installation is completed. Wanted to transfer my music albums from NAS to External HDD. I had formatted Toshiba HDD to exFAT and my Mac did not recognize it, but can see NAS. My office laptop (windows) did see HDD but wont access NAS because I have set password on NAS which I have forgotten :frowning: .

Today I will transfer through ETH cable hard wired to my PC, and as time permits, will give it a shot on ROCK installation. This is first time i have done something like this. Lets see how it goes. More updates after my office hours.

Edit: it does say exFAT to be ā€œCross platform compatibility (macOS, Windows, Linux)ā€ Not sure why my Mac could not read it.

Iā€™ve found using exFAT my MacBook takes a while to recognise the drive before it appears in finder (3-4 mins for a 3TB external Toshiba Canvio) Once itā€™s recognised all is well, so it may be worth taking another look?