GoldenSound’s response to Bob Stuart’s blog response

What other features require Roon to pay ongoing fees for?

1 Like

This is such a weird response. Why would you urge me to move on, when in doing so you show that you yourself don’t?

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is still the case.

I never subscribed to Roon and as long as one penny is going to mqa, I won’t
The day 0.00$ is going to MQA I will.

I’d guess this wouldn’t work as like Roon, Tidal pay to decode MQA, not stream it. The decode cost will be for the Tidal app to decode, not to stream the track, which may or may not involve an MQA decode.

… which shows it’s actually all about the money.
You pay for decoding in Tidal.
You pay for decoding in Roon. But you need Tidal for that, where you already paid for it.
So you pay twice.

Have you at least taken up the offer of a free trial?

I concur, the introduction of new license costs is one of MQAs bad smells for me. Streaming needs to find a way of paying artists properly not introduce new fingers to the till.

4 Likes

Pathetic. Non-Roon users coming here to agitate and troll Roon customers!

Just curious: do any MQA supporters troll Qobuz sites? I hope they don’t!

1 Like

Yes I did, Roon is great, but MQA isn’t and I don’t want it and for that reason I also don’t want to pay for it neither. I’m very happy with lossless flac quality from Qobuz. But since Roon is paying mqa (for Tidal streamers) and everyone subscribing to Roon is participating in those costs (also those that don’t stream Tidal to avoid mqa), I won’t subscribe to it.

1 Like

Move on.

A bunch of MQA supporters (actually MQA marketeers) troll all music relates sites, and yes, even Qobuz sites. You can ask David Solomon. He once replied that the only folding that should be discussed is the one when doing the laundry.

3 Likes

That is immaterial. You have the option of either using Roon, or not using Roon. If you subscribe, you know ahead of time that it does an MQA unfolding. It’s no secret. If you don’t like it, you can leave Roon.

Aren’t we allowed to have an opinion about a product we like? Why must we accept everything Roon labs chooses to do?

1 Like

To be able to offer core MQA decoding, MQA mandates that Roon purchase a license to do so, and pay for each decoding. To not offer MQA would hurt Roon as MQA is a huge request made by subscribers and potential subscribers. The more subscribers Roon has, the stronger they are, and the better suited they are to serve their subscribers. If you don’t want to use Roon, good and fine. But I really think you should stop trolling the community with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble.

1 Like

I do not know why the moderators do not kick him out. All he does is agitate the community (which I thought violated Community Standards), and really doesn’t bring anything meaningful to the discussion.

1 Like

You don’t have to accept it. You can use Audirvana, JRiver or something else. But, if you subscribe to Roon, you do so and both explicitly and implicitly agree to their user agreement. And that includes their use of MQA.

I can also, hear this, use Roon because I find value in what it is and at the same time present my opinions on how Roon should be.

Putting to one side the comic genius at work here, where was this?

Metadata sources.

1 Like