Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV as audio device causes intermittend issues

Dear reader

Description of Issue

After the update yesterday evening to build 880 my Remotes (on Android and Windows) started to rebuild the audio devices list and the Chromecast devices kept appearing and disappearing.

Audio stopped in the middle of a track, on all devices via WiFi or UTP, both Cromecast Audio, HK Citation Amp, MiniDSP SHD, Roon remote on PC with USB Audio
In some cases the current audio device disappeared and reappeared on the remote display…
When it reappeared on the remote I was able to resume the track, but would intermittently stop again later in the same track.

It took me some time to figure out what was causing the issue, but it appeared to be the enabling of my Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV as an audio device. Which was enabled as an audio device already for a long time…

NB. I remembered having an issue with this device before; when I used the device to display Roon to see the lyrics and album art on my television. If I started to display Roon on it, especially the first try (sleep mode?), it would switch on the TV screen and Roon Core seemed to ‘restart’, pressing play would resume the track.

Apparantly build 880 is even more sensitive to this device.
If I can do any testing to help solving this issue, please let me know.

PS. After disabling the Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV as an audio device everything is working as normal. The Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV is an Android 10 device and has firmware 1.56.276477

My configuration:

Roon Core Machine

Roon core in Windows build 880
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Build 19044 fully patched
Intel(R) Core™2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubitique APs and switch

Connected Audio Devices

Several ChromeCast audio devices connected to external DACs
MiniDSP SHD
HK Citation amp (Chromecast device)
Roonremote on PC with USB Audio Amp
2 Squeezebox devices

Number of Tracks in Library

I am having the same issue. This appears to be the most buggy Roon update in a long time…

Jaap can you confirm that after disabling the Chromecast 4K as an audio device everything is working as expected?
In my config it is still enabled as a display device.

I may have a similar issue. All my chromecast devices simply disappeared from Roon after the 880 build update. Gone completely and never show up again.

Hi @sound.wave & @Arne_van_Balgoijen ,

Can you please update to Roon build 884 and let us know if you’re still seeing the same issue here? There has been a fix when using more than 10 Chromcast/Sonos/KEF devices on the same network. Let us know, thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: No Chromecast devices show up

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.