Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display

Yep, I didn’t mean to imply there’s no value in that approach. A lot of people have done essentially the same thing with screen sharing from an iOS/iPadOS device to an AppleTV.

At the same time, hopefully roon doesn’t think that’s really “the right way” to fix the problem. :slight_smile:

I’ve automated this using AppleScript (only available on the Mac, but I’m sure there are PC equivalents), Opera and BetterTouchTool (to run the script with F14). Here’s the script if you’re interested:

tell application "System Events"
	if (get name of every application process) contains "Opera" then
		tell application "Opera" to quit
	else
		tell application "Opera"
			activate
			delay 1
			set bounds of front window to {0, 0, 1024, 674}
			tell application "System Events"
				click at {971, 84}
				delay 1
				click at {850, 174}
				set visible of application process "Opera" to false
			end tell
		end tell
	end if
end tell

The script sets the window size such that the clicks are registered in the right place (the second click requires the display you want to cast to to be the first in the list). Obviously you need to set up your browser to resume where you left off, and your display needs to be enabled.

2 Likes

The Roon devs need to talk to their friends at Qobuz. Their app can display on Net Hub or Chromecast and suppress the screensaver. Same goes for Tidal and Spotify. My guess is that a single method call (one line of code) would fix this. Do we have enough votes for a single line of code???

3 Likes

It amazes me this was reported about a year and a half ago and still hasn’t been resolved. I’d love to see this fixed.

1 Like

And the rest! The issue was first noted in October 2018, so getting on for 3 and a half years ago.

That’s a great workaround, and highlights 100% that the issue is Roon not “holding the connection” to the display.

2 Likes

Latest build 923 improvements on Chromecast didn’t fix the Nest Hub time out issue.

7 Likes

the roon display is utterly useless, I have multiple nests around the house that still do not work even years after they used to

only option is chromecasting it to a large TV, then the design of the roon display is so poor I wouldnt trust it staying on an OLED screen for any length of time

please get someone to work on the display, as is it’s worthless

6 Likes

I was able to get my Google Nest Hub to work consistently as a Roon Display. See my post here

2 Likes

Put me down as interested - as well as frustrated and rather puzzled why this is still implemented yet doesn’t work. Been trying to get this to work consistently for years with many google displays of various generations and it just has never ever worked properly. I always get excited when it works and then invariably disappointed a few minutes later when it stops.

We all seem to be interested, but it still stays an unresolved issue. I would have hoped that this would have received some focused attention from Roon and that at least some updates on progress, or the inability to make any. I have three Google Nest displays that I cannot use.

1 Like

@Brandon and @Graham_Curren

See this link I posted. I am amble to get it to work consistently over the last few months.

3 Likes

As I think, that this is a very good discovery and well documented by you for us to use, it is still not the real thing (e.g. red borders, here and now flashing screen).
Would rather have a reliable way of doing it :heart:

I heard with the Google Hub Max (discontinued) it works out of the box. Is that right?

1 Like

I don’t think Google Nest Home Max will work normally without turning on the accessibility mode.

I agree that the red box around the screen is a bit annoying. But for someone who does not interact with Google Nest Home frequently and mainly using it as a display, it is an OK compromise for me.

I hope Roon will address this issue in the future. For now I will keep using this “hack” in my audio rack.

1 Like

Does this feature work for anyone with a standalone chromecast device?
Ideally like many others using it with a Nest device would be great,

it’s a shame the Display feature is still advertised as a thing, yet no update from Roon as to the status of a fix!

A bit sad really. :face_with_monocle:

It works with a Chromecast dongle on my TV. I haven’t tried it with the Chromecast+GoogleTV yet.

Honestly, I’ve largely given up on thinking roon’s going to fix this or any number of other “little” things that have been broken for years. It’s pretty clear they have their priorities and don’t have any plans to clean up whatever messes aren’t core to those priorities.

1 Like

I’ve tried the acessibility trick : this works… BUT. I planned to use an old Google Nest as dedicated Roon display, which would be turned on and off at each listening session. It turns out, unfortunately, that accessibility trick does not survive an off/on of the Google Nest. Just to let know.

1 Like

Still waiting… +1 from me.

+1 for me too

:+1: this works for me ,thanks