GPU support for DSP

Hi,

Modern NUC’s have great GPU’s. Can they help the ROCK with the DSP algorithms?
So that not only the CPU does al the work and the GPU does nothing but they work together?
Just a thought

1 Like

It’s definitely a good idea, especially on devices with low power/small CPUs. The GPU could make all the difference in terms of DSP and upsampling etc.

No doubt someone will tell us it will negatively impact sound quality due to the noise generated by the additional load on the GPU.

just out of curiosity, what’s your use case where a NUC’s CPU is too slow for what you’re doing ?

On the lowest end NUC we suggest you use, the NUC7i3, you can pretty much do every bit of DSP without taxing the CPU much – on PCM.

DSD upsampling and convolution on DSD can be much more taxing on the system. We are researching GPU solutions here, but it still in early research phases.

1 Like

Hi Danny, is there already any progress in this area?

Any update on GPU on DSP? applying Convolution Filter on DSD is painfully slow… do I really have to upgrade for Convolution on DSD? otherwise my server is working great in all other area

Also see here for comparison of cpu loads: Archimagos Musings

Any updates on this matter, @support ?

Should I take the lack of response on this thread to mean that GPU has been abandoned?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say abandoned, but it is not a priority given that CPUs are fast enough to solve the problem.

1 Like

My kingdom for a glossary!

I’ll take that as abandoned then.

Your point about CPU speed is a little hollow considering the difference between a nucleus and a nucleus+.