Graphical Genre Hierarchy Editor

As a feature request, I would like to request a graphical drag/drop style Genre editor. The current method of setting up the parent/child relationships for Genre could be greatly improved.

10 Likes

Agreed. Itā€™s very unfriendly at present.

1 Like

Yes please.

1 Like

+1 ! Excellent idea !

By the way, it wouldnā€™t hurt to add the possibility to allow multiple parents for a genre.

2 Likes

ā€¦Also, this would be fine to restrict to larger format control units - desktop and perhaps tablet? Would not be needed or practical on phones.

1 Like

Quick question, can someone point me to the existing way of doing this? Canā€™t seem to find it

Settings > Library > Genre Mapping

2 Likes

How do you organise the hierarchies there? Iā€™ve seen that, but see no option to alter the hierarchies or add/edit genres(?)

Have a look at this:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Genres

Basically, you can map your own genre scheme, as expressed in embedded metadata in your track files, onto Roonā€™s scheme, and you can promote/demote items in the hierarchy. Separately, you can also add/delete genres when you edit an album within Roon.

You can also supplement your genre scheme with tags, but thatā€™s ancillary to the core genre stuff.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for that. Iā€™ve seen that help page, but am I missing something in the Settings>Library>Genre Mapping dialog box? I canā€™t see the ability to edit genres, only edit the mappings.

My pre-Roon database had genres distilled into main genres (i.e. Jazz or Electronic), and now Iā€™d like to take advantage of the ability to have multi-genre but canā€™t see the way to organise hierarchies. I know I can add genres in the edit album dialog, but any new option appears in the hierarchy as a top-level item, instead of under something else. For instance, I added ā€˜Folktronicaā€™ and itā€™s listed as top level, instead of under something else like electronic or whatever. Can I do this? (rearrange the hierarchy?)

You can edit a specific genreā€™s parent by Genre ā€”> three dots ā€”> change the parent. In your example, you would add a parent to Folktronica to place it somewhere in the genre hierarchy.

It is confusing, and somewhat hidden. The KB article isnā€™t particularly helpful.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s super helpful! Do you know how/if you can edit the genre names? For some reason all the ones I added saved without any capitalisation

I do not know how to edit Genre names. You may be able to add another entry with capital letters and remove the old associations using the Genre mapping tool, but I have not tried this.

Yeah I tried that, but no luck. It accepts it as simply the same.

Hi Developers, a graphical interface would be nice for genre editing. But, what would be nicer would be to edit the names of genres. To wit, I have no idea why the top-level genre ā€œpop/rockā€ exists, and not as a sub-genre of ā€œrockā€, which the label is mostly applied to. Itā€™s kind of sacrilegious to see groups like Nine Inch Nails etc labelled ā€œpop/rockā€. Thanks

4 Likes

This feature would be highly appreciated! Right now it feels like an obstacle to subscribe and comit to such a mighty software with such a huge blind spot in a main spot for my library organisation. I have high hopes and would instant-lifetime-sub as soon as this is implemented as a feature in a handy way!

1 Like

I agree. Flagged in 2018, but no hint of a resolution in 2021

Bringing this up again, this would be great and so much of a time saver. I would also like the ability to make a genre have multiple parents please.

1 Like

Adding my two cents here, this would be amazing. I would love to just be able to look at the whole genre hierarchy and easily drag things around and delete genres etc.