Grouping tracks into a single composition

WORK and COMPOSITION tags are synonymous. Are are PART and MOVEMENT tags.

If you want to group tracks into compositions, you need WORK and PART tags.

Mike,
Roon handles COMPOSITION and WORK tags as equivalent. Ditto for MOVEMENT and PART tags. I personnaly use COMPOSITION/MOVEMENT, as the names seem more appropriate.

@Andre_Gosselin Worked great Andre! Thanks for the tip!

andā€¦ what about going the opposite way: I mean how can I break into single tracks something that Roon considers a composition? :expressionless:

Try assigning different composition tags to the tracks you want to stand alone (setting for ex. composition tags to the tracks title). This should work.

1 Like

You should be able to use the same WORK (or COMPOSITION) tag, same PART (or MOVEMENT) tag, but different WORKID tags for each track.

1 Like

hhhhmmmmmā€¦ Iā€™m using Yate (on Mac OS) as tag editor and Iā€™m quite confused as all I see is ā€œWork Nameā€, ā€œMovement Nameā€ and ā€œMovement ā€¦ of ā€¦ā€

tried anyway setting each trackā€™s Work Name and Movement Name to trackā€™s title (plus Movement 1 of 1 for each) but Roon still shows Track 1 as a composition (named after albumā€™s title) consisting now of just track 1

better than before when all tracks were grouped as a composition butā€¦ :expressionless: I suspect one canā€™t fight on his own Roviā€™s mistakes :stuck_out_tongue:

album, btw, is Ravi Shankar/Philip Glass ā€œPassagesā€

EDIT: ok, refreshed the view (by going to a different album then back) and all is fine now :slight_smile:

@joel @support Have you actually sat down and edited work and part tags, track by track using something like dbpoweramp? Do you know what a royal pain in the A it is?

I just want to be able to select a bunch of tracks on an unidentified album and say ā€œThis is a compositionā€ and have Roon group them. The track names already have the structure ā€œComposer: Work; 1. Movementā€ - canā€™t you design something so Roon can read this structure from the track names?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Malcolm_Percival, and sorry for the difficulties.

Iā€™d like to recommend adding your voice to this post in Feature Requests:

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so thatā€™s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Thanks!
Dylan

2 Likes