H390 and H590 now Roon ready!

Try rebooting everything a couple of times.

Thanks for the reply. I have rebooted a few times and even disconnected the Hegel from the network. Unfortunately no luck as yet.

I donā€™t know anything about the process, but are you sure it successfully updated? Can you confirm the firmware version number? Sometimes both a Roon core and house router reset is required for the devices to re-discover each other, as Ged suggests above.

Thank you both for your advice. I am a little embarrassed but I thought the firmware had been updated. I wear glasses and when I initially went through the process (i.e. updating using the remote) I was wearing my short range readers :-b.
Anyway, I had a closer look at the firmware and it still was the previous version, not the new one ending in .2002. It has now been updated properly and everything is working with ROON just fine!!! Sorry for wasting your time and thank you for your replies.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve all been there! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, finally got around to updating the firmware in my H390 for Roon Ready. No issues, Roon recognized it straight away, and I fired up an album. Sounded pretty good. Then switched back to playing through the Lumin T2 (connected to H390 via XLR). Sounds so much better in every way - dynamics, punch, clarity, soundstage (front-back and left-right), instrument placement, and bass is just so much better. Not saying I wouldnā€™t be happy to use the H390 direct with Roon if I didnā€™t have any other option (it would be a great one box solution), but there is no doubt that the T2 adds a whole other dimension - well worth every cent.

4 Likes

Thanks for this insight @Rockhound, Iā€™m in the proces to use an external streamer/dac pref. also incl. a Roon server (all in one device). If Iā€™m correctly informed the Grimm audio MU2 should be a good candidate.

1 Like

Grimm make great gear - Iā€™m sure it will sound fantastic!

Expected to be ready early next year. But I have my doubts it will be ready as a product. We will see. I am waiting for the first reviews. Anyway it will probably be very expensive, close to 15-20k

1 Like

It certainly will be. And for that kind of $ one could have a Lumin X1 today and be very happy indeed :sunglasses:

I wasnā€™t aware of the firmware upgrade made available in August. I made the update to my H390 yesterday. The changes to the max limit set up and result arenā€™t as intuitive (as prior). That isā€¦one would expect the volume level display to align with the numerical display no matter what. I understand the max cap is represented at the user limit and the range is displayed from 0-100 (dampened). However it is confusing to see a display of 100 when in fact a user limit has been set.

Iā€™m curious as to why the volume limits on the Hegel unit doesnā€™t align with the similar function that ROON employs? For example min and max volume limits can be set within ROON without any effect on the full range numerical value set by the user. Ex. 0-100 = 0-100 (whether limits are set or not). Soā€¦if you cap your volume or set a min levelā€¦the numerical value is what is displayed regardless.

Iā€™ve also experienced the following:

The volume heard below 30 db is barely audible when the max volume cap is programmed. The low level listening (late night) seems to have been adversely affected by this attenuation change. Maybe itā€™s an adjustment around perception that requires acclimation by the user? For exampleā€¦itā€™s as if my minimum start up volume of 30 is now equivalent to my previous start up volume of 20. And in this example I have my max volume setting at 70. What gives?

I can obviously opt to run it without any volume limit settingsā€¦but as a user of the featureā€¦I prefer the way the volume limits operated prior to the change. Otherwiseā€¦the ROON implementation with Hegel is a highly welcomed change despite the notable delay after unboxing.

I think it is just a perception issue - I felt it was a bit odd at first after I applied the update, but had no issues with it after a few days.

We wanted to retain the max volume functionality working with all inputs/sources, this change in functionality was the only way we could solve this while still getting our amps Roon certified. Note that setting a max volume only changes the volume steps and how the volume is displayed, this has no effect on sound quality.

2 Likes

Thank you Hegel and @Anders_Ertzeid for making this possible!

H590 upgrade went smooth, and all is working fine.
Sound is excellent on my pair of Focal Alto Utopia!

3 Likes