HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Thanks @alec_eiffel and @dhusky for you quick replies!

Here is the one I use now, I like it better (cause of the girl picture) :slight_smile:
Measurement 1 is inside her head (I do left, right and both for 1), rest is left and right separate, so a total of 17 sweeps.

Measurements

2 Likes

What is your point? I’m into room correction since allmost 10 years, using REW and Dirac and HAF (wich I was among the first users). With my own measurements and filters, REW or Dirac, Amused To Death doesn’t sound out of fase. I made the REW filter with the same measurements as the HAF filter. In the mean time I have informed Thierry.

Answer from Thierry:

Hello Johan,

Yes this is normal as Q sound processing is based on phase manipulations between left / right channels and on the fact that there is crosstalk between them

So if you reduce crosstalk you get strange out of phase effects.

Best,

Thierry

1 Like

Do you still perceive this with the normal HAF filters (w/o crosstalk) ?

Not tried yet, in fact not such a big deal as there are very few Q-sound recordings. I was just wondering what was wrong and now I have the answer.

1 Like

Very true. Wasn’t Madonna’s Immaculate Collection one of those?

There are some albums, not only in Q-Sound, where the crosstalk reduction filters are not the best choice in my opinion. I found out that older stereo recordings from the 50s and 60s without any sound from the middle/center, where the instruments playing only from the left and right side, sounds strange and exhausting. Older mono recordings are fine with the HAF-xtalk filters by the way.

A good example is the album Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk from 1957 where I swapped from HAF-xtalk to HAF. Good to have the choice.

I wish I could switch between the filters easier, e.g. with my Logitech Harmony.:wink:

Just my 2 Cents
but I also use the Cross-Talk filter. It sounds more natural than the regular Filter that Thierry provided me.

Cheers,
Larry

1 Like

For those who like me who enjoy great audio but not overly technical I just wanted to say that Thierry does a great job in walking you through the sweeps and entire process. And the crosstalk is worth the extra in giving a balanced more spacious sound. It does fill the room and maintains the imaging. I have both files and only use the one file.

1 Like

Same here for more than 1year and still happy!

Howdy,

I have three listening positions in the room.

• Ideal: in a chair at the long point of the magical triangle half way between the L and R speakers and about double the distance between L and R speakers in front of said speakers.
  • On the couch against the wall
  • In a chair at the desk where I work

My question to you experts:

• Filters for every listening position need to be made/paid for?
  • Is the sound that is heard in one of the other listening positions noticably degraded when a filter is active for a position that one is not in?
  • Switching filters in Roon is not zero-effort/push button?

From what I gather (please correct me, this is why I’m asking), room correction doesn’t make sense when one listens from more than one position in said room
 unless it were completely easy to switch filters
 and other people in the room listening with you not occupying your exact space (hmmm
 that could get philosophical) didn’t get worse sound.

-Chris

I don’t have such a complex setup with several listing positions to care about room correction. But my experience in a larger room is that the HAF filters I’m using help to reduce resonances for the entire room, independently from my listening position I took the measurements. It improves SQ. You might want to ask for 3 different room correction curves/FIR files, but maybe after applying the compensation for the most important room modes you might be already sufficiently happy.

I would just ask Thierry for a solution. He probably has dealt with this before

That sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have used Acourate, DEQX and REW in the past but i was always happy about the changes in the beginning but eventually i would fall out of favor with the results and return to square one. I always felt that the music sounded “processed” for lack of a better word.

Eventually, i found much better results by using room treatments and proper speaker placement techniques. This two things brought me long lasting enjoyment
 I would like to say “and I lived happily ever after” but that would make it boring :smile: I am always striving to squeeze every ounce of juice out of my setup.

Thanks to this thread, I recently got in touch with Thierry and sent in my room measurements and sample songs for him to work on. I have to say, i wasn’t expecting much. After all i tried Acourate and DEQX purely out of raving online reviews. But in the end, i always felt that something was off
BUT, to be fair both programs require extensive technical know-how. And i bet with the right person in my listening room doing the “work” the results might have been different.

I have been listening to the HAF room correction and convolution filters for over a week now and boy, it sounds great!. The net results of proper speaker placement, room treatment and room correction is a winning combo for me. I am actually finding it hard to be productive. I sit in my room listening to music and not doing much else.

The music just flows and sounds so natural without a hint of fatigue or missing nuances. I believe that Thierry’s starting point of minimal correction to preserve the character of the loudspeaker and room is the “secret sauce”. In the past i have discovered that the quest to achieve a flat response or correct the entire frequency range makes for unsatisfactory results. It sucks the life out of the music and leaves you with processed sound that just doesn’t sound right
 at least to me.

Lastly, the only thing i wished was different was, in my communications with Thierry, i could tell he is quite busy and hence, some answers to my questions were rather brief and lacking in content. However, he answers emails fairly quickly. I am sure he is quite busy and probably running a one man show. So maybe not a knock on the customer service but a testament to the success of this work that has him running 24/7.

If you haven’t tried out the HAF’s service i would recommend you do, it will be the best $100-$200 you ever spent. God knows i have wasted a lot more on things that turned out really really badly. HAF is a great example of getting more for your dollar without costing you an arm or a leg. Sadly that is a dying trend in the audiophile world.

For me the jury is still out on whether i prefer his standard filter or Cross-talk filter. Right now i am leaning in favor of standard, but i am not ready to cast my vote yet. They both sound very very good.

2 Likes

Great write up but very hard to read :wink:

Formatting adjusted.

Thank you for adjusting the format.

1 Like

Yep pretty much my same experience. HAF is so good I’ve stopped tweaking my system. I’ll probably do another sweep once I get some new speakers