Hardware Advice

I’ve done it within the past year. At the very worse you may have to give them a phone call. Then again there are Windows licenses that can only be used one time and on one machine, usually sold on Amazon.

If it comes down to it, it’s worth a try.:grinning:

1 Like

OK, just checked - if you manage to buy a full retail version of Windows 10, then this can be transferred. Most of us buy the cheaper OEM license, and this is tied to the first hardware you install it on.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/moving-windows-10-to-a-new-computer/70aeae9a-0a7c-4e8a-adf6-35b6ec178f46?auth=1

Yeah, I never buy the cheap stuff on Amazon, for that reason. I change/tinker with machines too often.

Ok everyone more advice.
If i replace the hp soup bowl with an i7 256gb ssd (possibly 500ssd) 8gb of mem minimum (possibly 32gb) windows 10. Im i ok with this spec?
Im running roon dsd 128 dsd-pcm dop v1, its sounding fantastic, but last night for the 1st time got some stuttering during playback.
Not all the time but it was happening, processing speed varied from 1 - 1.5.

Would this spec resolve things? Id would imagine itll speedthings up a touch. I have a friend in the “trade” who said he could get me a pc with this spec.

Not very often i call in favours but this might be one of them lol.

Your thoughts would be appreciated before i press the button on this.

Thanks again Rob6

Personally if you were just running roon on it I’d skip windows and go for a NUC with ROCK on it. (10 year Microsoft employee :grin:)

Yeah, we all keep telling him that, but does he listen? :grinning:

1 Like

I would never say that.:laughing:

This is the key point -

@Geoff_Coupe, et. al. and I have agreed to disagree on this. I don’t understand placing ROCK/RoonOS on a virginal NUC and turning a potentially multi-purpose media machine (or whatever) into solely a “record player”.

Nucleus hardware running ROCK is a different matter. That seems to have been developed for Joe Blow who walks into a HiFi shop to buy a system and doesn’t want the hassle of a computer setup. If you put ROCK on a NUC, instead of Windows, you have negated that design objective.

Lol my dad always says that as well. Ok this let work on the assumption im a complete twit. Ive really no idea about nuc or indeed rock. So lets say i go about installing nuc and using rock

I buy the nuc to the spec ,roon recommend, this is a front end with no monitor? My samsung tablet becomes the visual part as it is right now. No looking at roon on my 55" tv then is this the case? Ehthernet cable into the nuc. Where will tidal go to then?

My apologies for coming across as a bit dim i just wanna get this right in my own mind.

So roon core lives on the nuc, i connect my external hdd to the nuc which contains my library and my tablet becomes my front end

Don’t worry, we all had to start learning, and the day we stop is the day we die.

Yes, ROCK on a NUC will give you the ROCK operating system and a Roon Core (and Endpoint). It doesn’t give you the user interface of the Roon Control component. If you connect a monitor to the HDMI connector on the NUC, all you will get is a basic text message telling you that ROCK is running, and what the IP address of the NUC is.

You’re right that you will connect your external HDD to the NUC, and control your Roon Core via the Tablet.

One thing that I’m not certain of (and therefore I’m hoping that others in the thread will chime in) is whether your Android Tablet runs the full Roon Control UI (as you would get if you were running the Roon Control on Windows or Mac OSX). I know that on smartphones, the UI is stripped-down somewhat, but I don’t know about Android Tablets…

Oh, and TIDAL will be integrated into the Roon Core, so you’ll see it inside Roon. You obviously are not running the TIDAL app on Windows anymore.

I think it is for the most part. Although, doing editing is a PITA on anything but a full keyboard.

Geoff thanks for this. So the existing roon license i have is simply transferred to the nuc? Gotcha on tidal. Ive actually never used tidal on its own only thro roon. Didnt see the point tbh.

I think my tablet my be the stumbking block as when i was mucking about with roonchanging setting when i read about the dsd 64/128 thing and what it wasdoing to the sq i couldnt do itfrom my tablet only via a mouse using the tv as a monitor.

Rob

Yes, the existing license can be transferred to any new hardware/Core.

If indeed that Android tablet UI is not the full control, then this might well be the deciding factor for sticking with Windows 10 on your new hardware (NUC or PC)…

The trouble with something as flexible and evolving as roon is that it produces a host of decision points and choices that only you, once informed, can make. If you go for a NUC it doesn’t matter if you try ROCK and don’t like it; just install windows instead, so no loss.
The TV side of things may be solved in future at low cost I think as the team are looking at creating a now playing screen to display via chrome cast.
Geoff makes a good point on the settings piece, the full settings might only be available via a “full” OS. However, you could keep your current PC as a front end and display point just moving the core function elsewhere.

Now even a simpleton like me gets that. So in summary assuming the tablet is indeed tge weak link in this upgrading the pc to an i7 256 or 500ssd and likely at least 16mb ram is going to make roon run faster and sort out the part time stuttering when running dsd128 playback

16 GB … (8GB is probably OK for Roon, but the more the merrier).

especially at current prices. I think memory prices will drop a bit in early 2019

Thanks once again for all your input. Baby steps etc
You live and learn as they say.
Kindest Regards
Rob

If you are thinking of doing a ROCK NUC, you should think about building it with parts from the supported parts list. Give this a read (the i7 build is about halfway down with helpful links to add the necessary items to an Amazon cart.).
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Personally, I use a flavor of Windows as my RoonServer OS of choice.

1 Like

Heresy! :grinning:

1 Like

A prophet without honors in his own land.:expressionless:

1 Like