Hardware recommendations $350 - $500 per component

Basically they are two different approaches. The Pi-Digi-Amp+ is a good value and decent quality RPi amp/DAC/streamer for use with passive speakers (ie speakers without integrated amplification).

The PecanPi* is a Ready Built DAC/streamer (and headphone amp) with balanced outputs which can be plugged straight into some active speakers, like the Genelec studio monitors. For at least physically small speakers, my suggestion is that you may get better performance from active speakers than passive, and this is a neat, potentially high performance combo (though I admit I haven’t heard it).

There’s cheaper active speaker options though depending on use case - for example I was very impressed by the Ruark MR1 MK2 speakers, which could be paired with something like the HifiBerry Digi+ for, say, a good bedroom solution.

*The HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO XLR which @BoyZonderman mentions is another, cheaper XLR DAC/steamer option which would require some basic assembly (plus case, RPi, PSU) but not the soldering which I believe is required to add XLR support to the Allo boards.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-v2-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-allo-kali-reclocker-audio-gd-compatible-p-13064.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/topping-d70-balanced-dac-2x-ak4497-xmos-xu208-i2s-32bit-768khz-dsd512-black-p-13872.html

This will get you a very competent front end that will avoid the use of USB. The streamer will need to be purchased from the place of the link but the DAC can be sourced elsewhere. I’d put Ropieee on the streamer. The DAC can also perform pre-amp duties and measures well if that matters. I am also a fan of the PecanPi in principle, I own his ApplePi balanced DAC but I think that for a home HiFi setup you need something more aesthetically pleasing. Also the streamer has a version that comes with a screen within your stated budget. I think it is the official Pi screen so should also work with Ropieee and gives some local control (play, pause, volume readout).

The setup would be streamer, short HDMI cable to DAC. All other inputs would be available for use. You can the go to a conventional system or straight to active speakers. But basically this gives you options.

1 Like

Or: Take the budget for ALL rooms, and spend it ALL on one pair of speakers. That is, if I had what the OP has, my priority would be to create one high-quality 2 (or 2.1) channel system. I’d probably spend up to 100% of the current budget just on speakers for that system.

Someone mentioned Totem Acoustics. I have a pair of the Arros and a pair of the Dreamcatchers, and have been happy with both (although I rarely play at high volumes). Especially if you shop for used, you should be able to get something at the level of the Arros for under $1500 or bookshelves comparable to the Dreamcatchers for under $500. The KEF LS50 seems to be a popular choice. ~$1300 for a pair, new? Budget another $500 for a small subwoofer like the REL T5/i.

But address the electronics later. And focus on building just one high-quality system first. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. And consider buying used. Just like cars, there is a pretty big depreciation in stereo equipment. I’ve bought a number of speakers (Acoustic Energy AE2 Signatures, Acoustic Energy AE1s) and several amps (3 different Pass amps and a Pass preamp) on Audiogon. Very happy with that process and I got really nice equipment at about half original cost.
Clearly there are downsides, and it might not be right for you, but at least be aware it’s a good option for the right person.

1 Like

That’s me. Love Totems. Have a pair of Arros, and Tribe Towers . I used both the Arros and my original Dreamcatchers, with the NAD 3020 and it sounded good.

1 Like

DIY Speakers have peaked my interest. I think value for money factor could be great as well as learning. I don’t know if any of you in Australia have tried LSK (Loud Speaker Kits). I’ve just written to them to ask what a particular model might be comparable to. Maybe looking at the specs it tweaks a recognition from some of you as to what they might compare to?

LSK M6 MK3 Monitor Kit

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far everyone. I’m leaning towards Raspberry Pi’s or Orchard Audio devices atm.

I think i listed all required parts, it’s up to you to find the best stores to buy suggested components. Edit didn’t notice it was a little harsh, i was thinking more about location etc.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
€49
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro-xlr/
€50

€77 2x 4m

€736 2x €368
That makes €912

Install ropieeeXL on the RPi4

1 Like

HiFi Berry advise the steel case for XLR connections. Is this the right one then?
STEEL CASE FOR HIFIBERRY DAC+ XLR, PI 4

Is that everything that you need? Do you need a power supply too? How difficult is this to set up?

I saw a video review of Raspberry Pi with ALLO DigiOne Signature HAT. He talks about “electrical noise” in the video and how that problem is solved with the ALLO DigiOne Signature.

Is electrical noise a factor with RPi4 + HiFi Berry DAC+ XLR?