Has anyone tried a „hifi“ fuse with a Lumin?

How so?

Back up those nine words with some good argument, if you can.

4 Likes

I’m going to throw some gasoline on the fire. As a circuit designer, I use fuses regularly. I look at the data sheet to understand how inrush current and fuse resistance will effect my circuit. I use math and data to design the circuit. I then prove it out with measurements. If a device has no measurable or listed differences in the data sheet, I don’t know what to do with it. I can’t just blindly swap parts in and try to check for differences. The combinations would be endless. Plus I buy my components from established electronics parts fabrication companies, not boutique builders who specialize in metaphysics.

If there is no measurable difference, in my world, there is no difference. Otherwise nothing could be designed and we would still be banging rocks together.

So the question remains, what is different about a $50 fuse? Lower R, less L, less C? Does the Resistance change less over the temperature range? Those parameters are going to be hard to change given the proper fuse function at the same current overload profile.

Sheldon

2 Likes

There’s no answer to that question because there can’t be any difference and still have an optimum circuit, if I understand what you are more or less implying.

Oi! That’s not why I love my ESL57s! It’s the transparency of the sound, not the power supply… :smile:

I asked this question 7 days ago in this thread and did not get a reply. If I were to just ‘try it’ as is so often suggested, I would need to know what to look for. Any old fuse with the word ‘audiophile’ in front of its inflated price tag wouldn’t really be enough of a specification to go on. Fuses have very few parameters to optimise if they still need to function as a fuse to a defined specification.

Do you mean you want me to come up with a good argument why ‘audiophile’ fuses are ‘better’? Or to tell you why those six paragraphs didn’t say much once you strip out all the red herrings and poor reasoning?

Yes.

And yes.

3 Likes

Yeah. I thought you’d missed the point. I guess I wasn’t clear. I really doubt an ‘audiophile’ fuse will do anything different to a properly specified ‘ordinary’ fuse, except perhaps fail to protect the equipment adequately. But a smattering of ‘popular science’, a straw man or two, and an appeal to authority aren’t going to convince anyone. And magic rocks are relevant how?

It’s the same arguments that are used to ‘prove’ ethernet cables can’t possibly make a difference. They shouldn’t, but they can couple electrical noise into the system, which can affect the sound. Actually, perhaps an ‘audiophile’ slow blow fuse acts as an aerial, and everyone’s hearing Radio 2!

1 Like

The point I missed was in your somewhat snide comment, but if @David_Studeman doesn’t care then neither do I.

Snide? Not intended. Sorry.

There’s a serious academic study that shows people happily criticise ‘bad’ evidence that contradicts their position, but completely ignore those self-same flaws in ‘evidence’ that supports their views. I’m paraphrasing. I’ll look it up and post a link when I’m at home.

Serious academic study? By someone somewhere about something?

Probably for simple minds. :wink:

1 Like

A fuse is essentially a short piece of wire in an insulated container. It’s designed to rupture under high current conditions. Some fuses are designed to be fast acting particularly in the case of upstream electronics. So if you replace the original manufacturers fuse with a fuse of different performance characteristics, even be it more expensive, you run the risk of damaging your device. Internally the fuse element is usually suspended in an air gap within the fuse container so the likelihood of external electrical audible interference via the fuse is zero.

Medicine. Where I’m sure you’ll agree flawed arguments don’t lead to good evidence-based decisions, so spotting those flaws is quite important. I’ll look it up when I’m home.

Two very different cases, fuse and ethernet cable. Not a good comparison. To say it’s the same arguments is disingenuous. One is highly likely to make a difference, the other is not.

That is your subjective opinion not fact.

The specifics are different, but the arguments are the same. How many posts have you seen that ‘prove’ ethernet cables can’t possibly affect the sound because if they did internet banking would be broken?

What evidence can you present to support your assertion that one effect is ‘likely’ and the other ‘unlikely’?

I think I made this point at the beginning of this thread, perhaps overly obliquely.

Fun fact: “There’s a sucker born every minute” is one of the most famous things P. T. Barnum never actually said.

No definitely a fact. Thanks for your opinion though.

None.

None is needed, it’s self evident.