Has anyone tried a „hifi“ fuse with a Lumin?

Congratulations on missing them. They weren’t that good…

Sigh…

Let’s see some measurements of the fuse difference or the ethernet cable difference. Without measurements, there is no way to address any shortcomings in the power supply or the instrument I/O of the component in question.

I’m not saying the differences don’t exist, but without a measurement there is nothing to change or improve. Until there is empirical evidence, there is nothing useful to talk about.

Sheldon

1 Like

To be fair, measurements tell you stuff, but are still only a proxy for the actual desired outcome, which should be (say) getting an improved emotional engagement with reproduced music.

Care to share?

I prefer hifi to pedantry.

FYI only. I’m not endorsing this (or any other third party components). A staff with a different manufacturer commented in the Lumin thread here:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/14016-lumin-audiophile-network-music-player/?do=findComment&comment=1079134

Gents.

I would not go into a catholics forum to let everyone there know how wrong they are … that there is no proof god exists … no one measured him so far.

Even if I did, I am sure many other users would tell me I am wrong. Just because I have not experienced him, they did, etc.

In any case I am not doing the above. Why should I? I have my believes, I don’t have to prove others they are wrong. It wont make me feel better.

Do you see how this relates to the sound of fuses?

I initiated this thread clearly asking the ones who have tried it to share their experience.

So, for the ones that might care:

I cannot claim I perceived any sound change on my Lumin T2 or PASS XA25 after changing the fuses for some „hihi“ ones. I did not exchange stock and „hifi“ back and forth.

I would not say it proves anything… it just means that on my current system setup, I did not perceive it. Maybe there are other, more weak items in the system, that prevent perceiving the fine nuances of a fuse change? Or it is just my ears? Or it just really does not change anything!

I know the power distribution is the weakest link of my system. A dealer gave me some Isotek and very expensive Shunyata cables to try. I can clearly hear the difference on my system swapping cables. It is huge. And the the most expensive ones are not the ones I liked best.

Now, I am sure someone will tell me cables cannot sound…

Challenge:
Then be my guest in Munich. If you cannot tell difference changing cables, beers go on me, otherwise on you.

3 Likes

I agree with this In principle and like to keep exchanges positive. There is a caveat, these threads are read by people looking for advice also. There are two sides to these arguments and it’s good to offer some balance. I appreciate you were after the voice of experience here but it’s a public forum and the subject’s controversial. Thanks for an interesting thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for an educated reply. You have a valid point.

Yes, for many things there is no clear measurement. Do the Hypex Class D amps, with crazy low THD sound better than anything else? Some measurement nerds would probably say so… and how wrong are they. Dont we all know?

1 Like

I wouldn’t make too many assumptions about my education :wink:

I think this https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.372.1743&rep=rep1&type=pdf is the original paper; I can’t find the work that referenced it though. If I do…

Maxwell, Tesla and Faraday suggest all things transmit and receive… The question is what and how much… And, in the case of audio, can it be measured and heard in your system/room/ear/brain…

I have tried a kind of hifi fuse with 2 Lumins - first a D2 and now an X1. It is basically no fuse, meaning that the fuse itself is bridged and the “fuse” part is taken over by external electronics. This is supposed to eliminate the “constraints” of a fuse while keeping the safety of the system intact (or even improved).
More info is here: EFuse Website.
The system works well and I have complete confidence in its efficiency, having overloaded it several times on purpose for testing.
I am not so sure about the sonic effects, however. With the D2 I think I heard some improvement like more definition in the lower frequencies, but with the X1 the effect is either very subtle or non-existent. A direct A/B comparison is not really possible, but certainly there is nothing that stands out in my configuration as it is now.

2 Likes

Just a quick update from my side. As I wrote earlier, the fuse change was not audible for me. I sure hoped it would be a fantastic improvement for little money.

But I did end up buying a power conditioner. It is astonishing how much effect this had.

2 Likes

It’s a slightly different topic, but a power conditioner and filter were very obviously better in my system as well!

What you heard did occur. I have no doubt that people can hear differences by installing all sorts of weird and wonderful bits of hifi gear, but it’s the source of those experiences that’s the issue. For me this is fairly simple: there are very clear and accepted theories as to how electricity works, and there are also very clear and accepted theories regarding cognitive bias and confirmation bias. Neither are contentious, and both have been documented by professionals, academics, theoreticians, and a raft of other qualified folk who can testify as to their effects, both in theory and practice.

On the other side of the argument: I have yet to come across a single explanation as to how a hifi fuse could possibly make any difference to the sound of an audio system. As best I can tell, assuming the fuse is in spec - it’s just not possible. So how to explain the fact that people do hear a difference? Occam’s razor would suggest that confirmation bias is a much better explanation than the alternative - that currently accepted physical/objective laws regarding the nature of electricity need to be fundamentally rewritten because a very small bunch of people swear that it’s the fuse that’s causing the difference rather than their own unconscious biases and expectations.

5 Likes

I changed the fuses in every component of my system starting from PSAUDIO P10 through streamer, DAC to Nu-Vista 800. Audible difference for me without any question. BUT! Changing the fuse in the Sbooster for Lumin D1 brought the smallest change. Maybe it would be more significant in case of T2. Give it a try, and do not forget to leave your T2 run 24 hours a day for several days (burn in).

@wklie , do your digital products need burn-ins? What is there to burn in?

There are no tubes, there are no diaphragms, or really any moving parts

I don’t get this concept of burning in digital equipment.

4 Likes

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. The fuse! needs the burn in! But only after the T2 was burned in :slight_smile: There is a “theory” about metal crystal structures. Burn in process helps (cables and everything else) to “get in line” for all of those metal crystals. But it’s just a theory.