Having MQA issues with Meridian devices

@Simon_Mirren No one is forgetting anything, but this thread is a specific support thread for a particular user about the 818 and Ultra.

I too have a Meridian 818v3. I don’t currently use room correction and volume levelling, but was anticipating using this later once MQA was sorted out.

Am I correct that this is not currently possible on the Meridian equipment, but is possible in my other rooms (using squeezeboxes)? Do you know if this is fixable by the guys at Roon, Meridian or not likely to be fixed?

Assuming the 818v3 is set up in Roon as a “Decoder and Renderer”:

If you don’t use any DSP, Roon will pass the unaltered MQA stream to the 818v3 as before (where it will be Authenticated, Decoded, and fully Rendered).

If you do use DSP, Roon will Authenticate and Decode, apply the DSP, and pass that to the 818v3 with embedded (rendering) Signalling Information. As you surmise, currently, the 818v3 will not Render it (or pass the instructions to Render along to Meridian DSP SE loudspeakers). It does sound rather good, however, on my 818v3 and DSP8000SEs, so goodness knows how good it will sound when the 818v3’s recognition of decoded and renderable MQA streams gets fixed!

And yes, I think that it will get fixed, although Meridian timescales can seem rather glacial. Let’s hope that we get a pleasant surprise.

Thank you. I will try room correction and see how I get on.