Headphone search

Headphone search

Hello all,

I’m looking for a good pair of headphones in addition to a good speaker (probably from Sonos or JBL).

For me, suitable should be an ear-enclosing headphones.

Who has already made good experiences and can recommend me a headphone up to max. 200 euros, which also works well with Roon?

Thanks for your tips and recommendations in advance.

Greetings from Ansgar

Are you looking for wired or wireless solution?

I am looking for a wireless headphone.
I think it’s best if it goes over the ears. Then I will use it at home on the terrace or in the living room so as not to disturb my wife. For vacation I will continue to take a small headphones that I put in my ears.

What function is important or best for sound quality and transmission? Wifi or and Bluetooth?

I don’t believe that there are any quality headphones available that use WiFi but there are many wireless Bluetooth headphones available. To use a wireless Bluetooth headphone with Roon one would need a Roon endpoint that has Bluetooth, such as a tablet or smart phone, which would then send the audio to the headphones.

I see. For the tight budget you gave me I would be looking at Bowers and Wilkins – ideally PX7 if you can find a nice maybe used option, or go for a previous generation - such as PX5.

Things to keep in mind – try to find something which has ‘aptX’ and ‘aptx-HD’ codecs on board of these units.

Good thing about Bowers & Wilkins headphones, last 3 generations have good internal DACs which give option for users to connect the headphones via USB-Type C cable so the signal goes directly from the say computer to headphones and it gives very solid quality.

A bit firm headband though, at least people say.

I bought the PX7. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to work, let alone pair it with Roon. What am I doing wrong?

Roon works a bit different than you may think. It recognized outputs as a Roon Endpoints.

Which means that you need to setup your say smartphone or computer as an endpoint and then use Bluetooth AptX-HD to stream to your headphones. Then it will work.

There are many other options, such as setting up Roon Ready endpoint which works as a Bluetooth Streamer (Not receiver), but it requires higher budget. Use you phone or computer for now and see for yourself