Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

Great stuff. So I need to download Roon Server to my laptop, assign it as the core (temporarily replacing the STi7) and go into the DSP section of the Roon playback zone in order to upload the previously downloaded wav files. I then re-assign the STi7 as the core and get to (hopefully) hear what my HD800 can really do. Is that correct?

Dave, download and install Roon (not Roon Server) on your laptop.
Do NOT install a new core on your laptop but connect to your STi7 Core instead. Then proceed with convolution file uploading.

Again, sorry for my lack of basic knowledge here, but do you mean a direct usb connection or via the network? I am sure all will be obvious once I have Roon on my networked laptop, but any direct steer I get in advance will help prevent me doing undue damage!! :joy:

Via the Network. Your Windows Roon will act as “Remote” for your STi7 Core. This requires that both devices are on the same local network.

1 Like

Today I tried the convolution filters for the HD6xx headphones from the GitHub site.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t a fan of what they’d come up with. It just lost all the magic of the HD6xx.

I’m happy to accept they may need a little boost below 100hz and below to fill out a little, but every time I turned on the filter from jaakkopasanen it made them sound closed in and muddy, the sparkle and presence was missing.

Maybe, just maybe its possible that Sennheiser know more about what they’re doing than a guy at home with some testing kit? hard to say.

I tried a basic parametric EQ with a slight boost sub 100hz approaching +3db at 20hz and slowly tapering off towards 100hz where it meets the rest of the spectrum.

That sounded overall far better to my ears, less bloated and more balanced.

2 Likes

I just setup the parametric filter for the B&O H6. Must say, it improved the detail and the overall sound. I’m using my iPad at the moment, so the headroom adjustment hurts the overall volume but it sounds great.

My EQ settings for Audeze LCD-X
GraphicEQ: 20 -10.53; 24.9 -10.46; 32.3 -10.53; 40.4 -10.53; 50 -10.46; 64.8 -10.53; 80.2 -11.01; 99.8 -11.69; 126.7 -12.3; 156.6 -13.45; 199.4 -14.07; 266.7 -13.79; 347.8 -13.37; 434.7 -12.16; 500.1 -13.66; 579.3 -12.5; 770.8 -14.88; 1004.1 -13.18; 1415.3 -10.06; 1794 -6.63; 2169.9 -2.58; 2491.9 -0.95; 2797.2 0; 3286.3 -0.27; 3929.1 -1.83; 4994.5 -3.74; 6013.4 -3.53; 8028.2 -3.67; 10099 -6.18; 13271 -6.8; 20038 -9

@David_Crosbie1 me too, I recently bought a new DAC and found the github convolution just too much, it seemed veiled compared to turning Roon DSP off as well
 so I found this on Reddit and I’m liking it so far
 the guy suggests doing this at 30hz but that’s too bloated so he recommends 20hz And that just lifts the bottom a bit
 With a ‘Q’ of .5 the graph show quite a flat response.

Filter: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 150 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 0.5

I just implemented it in the DAC EQ (RME ADI-2) it’s very subtle, well till you put some Bjork on that is! :blush:

What/how does it mean when the settings for my headphone say “apply preamp of -6.8db”? Is this a setting within Roon?

Headroom Management under the DSP options.

1 Like

Yes, see the vertical slider to the right of the Parametric EQ graph, or you can set it in the Headroom Management (Headroom Adjustment).

1 Like

Got it. Thanks,
Dave

Jaakko Pasanen’s Convolution filters and Roon are frigging awesome. I have never enjoyed headphone listening like this before. Jaakko deserves a medal :smiley: on the work he has done.

The Roon Crossfeed feature is also super awesome. I damaged my right side hearing a bit in the military, so I have a 10db dip in the midrange in one ear. Otherwise my hearing is still really good and it has not bothered listening with speakers as my brain seems to “fix” the dip with the right ear.

It has always disturbed me with headphones. The Crossfeed fixes it totally
 So happy. :smiley: :smiley:

8 Likes

I can find for FOCAL CLEAR the pdf and the setting for RME.
But i cannot find the WAV-File for ROON.
Can someone send me the link therefore?
Thank you!

I prefer automatic import and not manually setting of 10 PEQs

How to find the wav-file on this list: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

This should be the correct wav-list. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/headphonecom/headphonecom_harman_over-ear_2018
But no focal clear found

Here are the Focal Clear files:

2 Likes

They are here oratory1990 Focal Clear

The best is to find profiles via the recommended results . oratory1990 is preferred, and in this case headphones.com did not have Focal Clear at all.

2 Likes

Thank you - great :+1:

Every now and then and old Forum post pops up (and yes this is one) that is going to send me down a rabbit hole and suck hours of my life while I do A/B testing and finally find the best setting for me to go with.

Going to have some fun this Christmas trying my AKG712 Pro and Sundara’s. Something to do now in our new lockdown at least.

Thanks to those that bring these old post’s to the surface as well as those who put in the initial effort to get so much good information in them to begin with.

Regards

Mike

4 Likes

My favourite thread getting some love. @Michael_Harris I suspect you’ll enjoy Christmas. Thanks to @rockphotog again for starting.

1 Like

@killdozer already bookmarked some threads to spend some quality time with :grin:
Yes @rockphotog thank you for bringing this to my attention

Mike